Is there a comparison of monitoring providers?

Old 05-01-05, 05:08 AM
dchann
Visiting Guest
Question Is there a comparison of monitoring providers?

I installed my own home alarm ~15 years ago, upgrading to a Vista 20P next week and would like to initiate monitoring, is the a comprehensive list of providers, and a comparison of thier services available anywhere?

Is there any advantage to a local provider? Locally is $16 to $25 per month. What would make a local provider worth the extra over the $9 I've seen listed online.

Is any UL provider basically the same as any other UL provider?

Thanks for any help.
Dave

Last edited by dchann; 05-01-05 at 05:09 AM. Reason: typos
Old 05-01-05, 09:41 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 314 Upvotes on 289 Posts
There's not really a list of providers. Central stations dealing directly with subscribers is a relatively new service model. Some of the people on this forum have had experiences with such CS providers (you can browse the archives).

The biggest advantage of a local provider is that if you have an issue, you can go sit in their office where you cannot be easily shuffled off into hold button purgatory.

If a provider has UL listing (and the docs to back it up) it means that they have met a minimum standard that the insurance companies have to accept (many home policies will give discounts for monitored alarm systems, especially if smoke detectors are included).

Old 07-10-05, 02:45 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I agree with MrRonFl.

Use a local company, where you are not just a number.

Also, if the price is cheap, ask these questions.

Does it dial an 800 number?
Does it include the weekly test signals, and do you notify me if it fails to test?
Is there extra charges for monitoring panics or duress signals?
Is there extra charges for alot of signals?
Is there extra charges for speaking with an operator?
Yes, some places charge per signal, or when you have to talk to an alarm operator.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: