opps caddx ranger 8980 problem

Old 05-14-05, 06:15 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy opps caddx ranger 8980 problem

I am a contractor. I was installing a massive built-in. There was an alarm sensor in the way. I had to open it up, undo its' four wires, drill a hole, slip the wires through and hook sensor back up. Unfortunately the control panel looks dead now and there is no light on on the sensor. What can I do about this? Did I fry a fuse? I tried to treat it carefully, like a thermostat...
please help.
thanks,
squarejig

Old 05-14-05, 08:25 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 139 Votes on 128 Posts
Yup, you probably took out the 12v power fuse, which would kill the keypad and anything else that was tapping 12v power (like that motion detector).

It you really shorted it out, you possibly killed the power supply plugged into the wall, but that's unlikely if all you did was disconnect a motion detector.

Just remember in the future, it's less headache to find the control box, unplug the battery and either unplug the power pack, or trip the breaker for the outlet it's plugged into. Low voltage wiring is safe to handle, but it's connected to fairly delicate circuitry.

Old 05-15-05, 06:19 AM
S
follow up question

Can I fix it myself? Where would the fuse be and how can I tell if it is shot?
Yeah, I should have tripped the breaker, (so much for thinking).
Thanks for your response. (client is out of town
--Squarejig

Old 05-15-05, 08:36 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 139 Votes on 128 Posts
There is a main control box about a foot square usually beige or grey. In most houses it's in a location like the master bedroom closet. Inside is a circuit board and a battery. On the board is a pair of fuse holders, one of which is a 1 amp fuse (the little glass old-style automotive ones). The simplest way to test a fuse is to test continuity with it out of the holder. Ususally it's pretty obvious, the scorch mark inside the fuse glass is usually a dead givaway.

Remember, for future reference, with security panels, you have to disconnect the battery, as well as the ac power.

Old 05-15-05, 11:07 AM
S
thank you thank you thank you!!!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: