Opinions on wiring window screens for security system

Old 05-25-05, 06:36 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Opinions on wiring window screens for security system

Hello,

I am installing a new alarm system. I am in the process of figuring out the security for the windows. I have casement windows and my alarm installer is recommending wiring the window screens instead of just contacting the windows. He has informed me that it will cost $65 per screen to have them wired.

My questions to you;

1. Is it worth it to have the screens wired?
2. How secure is this set up?

Thanks for your time!

Old 05-26-05, 05:08 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 139 Votes on 128 Posts
When properly installed, the screens are very effective. They are very expensive per opening, however, and if you seldom open your windows unattended, the cost is not effective. Casement windows are a little tricky to set contacts on, but really aren't that tough.

Old 05-30-05, 02:43 PM
Integratedj
Visiting Guest
I usually also recommend either doing screens or glass breaks instead of casement window contacts. (I am assuming by casement you are talking about the Crank out type). There are several resons for this. The first being that Both Pella and Anderson Brands will void the warranty on the windows if the frames are drilled at all, and that gets very expensive for an alarm company to covor the cost of several windows that a tech drilled out.
The main reason though, is that it is much more difficult to force open a crank out window than a regular window. I have never seen a break in that was done by forcing open a crank out, but I always see them smashed out. The benefit to the screens is that you can arm your system with the windows open, and if they break the window and try to crawl through they have to either remove the screen or cut it out, both of which will trigger it.
IJ

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: