New house pre-wire alarm system

Old 05-26-05, 09:21 PM
matt49
Visiting Guest
New house pre-wire alarm system

Hello all

I am new in this forum and it is my first post, so I don't know how to explain my problem. I am just move in to my new house and sign with an alarm monitoring company. They sent a tech to install the equiement, since my house was pre-wire for alarm system installation was smootly but come to the windows the tech did not find the wire hang out and don't want take the responsable to make a hole and messing with the wall, the house is under warranty. I call the builder and they only sait its alarm company to take care everything. So now nobody don't want to take action to pull out the wire from the wall and I am tire to make a call and wait with both. I am thinking to do myself but what tool and how to track the wire to pull them out behind the wall.
Sorry for the long post and I hope it's clear for everybody to understand.

Any advice are welcome.
Thank you

Matt49

Old 05-27-05, 04:43 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 139 Votes on 128 Posts
The normal way to find such wires is to use a tone generator and receiver like the telephone workers use. Mine can get me within 4-6 inches of a wire pretty reliably.

There is no way to avoid cutting at least a quarter-sized hole to fish the wire out, and often the hole has to be larger (dry wall hangers are notorious for balling such wires up and cramming them behind the insulation).

Old 05-27-05, 11:35 AM
matt49
Visiting Guest
Thank you MrRon for your help. I will look at HD for a tone generator and with brand I should go with. Is it easy to use this tool and to find the wire to pull out ? Also how many wire I suppose to pull out in each windows. Sorry for my ignorance but I want to make sure it's the job for DIY before I invest with the tool other way the Boss she's going to kill me if I mess with wall
Any links for step by step would be great
Thank

Last edited by matt49; 05-27-05 at 11:56 AM.
Old 05-27-05, 08:04 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 139 Votes on 128 Posts
Check with the tool rental places, first. You are talking about 75 to 100 dollars for the toner and receiver at most home centers. Basically, you put the toner on the end that you have, and scan the wall around the windows for the other end. It's not hard, just very tedious.

Old 05-30-05, 02:35 PM
Integratedj
Visiting Guest
Tell your builder to get the alarm company out there to fix it ASAP or you will send them a bill from a second hand company, and then a bill for drywall repair and painting. It is the Builders responsibility to take care of the problem, and handle all back charging depending on whether it was the alarm company that mis wired it, or a drywaller that cut it off short or buried it. As said above, they are notorious for screwing up alarm and network wiring.
You shouldn't even have to make a second call about it. If it was the tech from the company that put it in telling you he didn't want the responsibility of digging it out, then he was being extremely lazy as it is his job to get the entire system up an going. Call the installation company back out and tell them to fix it or you will cancel with them for breach of contract for not getting it 100% up and going. They normally get out there ASAP when you do that.
Good luck man.
IJ

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: