How to get DSC PC 1555 system to Ready state?

Old 05-30-05, 04:47 AM
bangback
Visiting Guest
How to get DSC PC 1555 system to Ready state?

Hi all,

I have a DSC PC 1555 classic alarm system that was installed by Ranger American. It has two LED keypads (not the LCD ones, unfortunately), along with door, window, and motion sensors. The system has not been under a monitoring contract for some time. I have both installer and master codes for the system.

Everything seemed to be working well until a recent thunderstorm passed through the area and caused the power to go out for a couple of hours. When the power came back, I got trouble light #8 on the system, which indicated a need to set the system clock. I did so through information on this board. Once I set the clock, however, a new problem was revealed.

The system will not make Ready. Zones 1 thru 6 are lit, and 7 & 8 are off. I tried opening and closing most of the doors and windows in the house, along with walking back and forth in front of the motion sensor. I even tried the power down and power up procedure by disconnecting the battery and AC power, then reconnecting them. I then repeated the opening and closing of doors and windows. Going into the trouble diagnostic (with the *2 option) does not show any trouble codes.

Despite these efforts, the system still will not make Ready. It is as though something is stuck and needs to be reset.

Question is -- how do I make this system Ready?

Thank you in advance for your help! =)

Old 05-30-05, 06:52 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
A couple of questions. Are your zones wireless? If not do you have access to a multimeter? If hardwired did they use resistors or not? These could be found either at one device on each zone or normally they are just put at the zone terminal.(this is not correct but a fact of the industry usually younger installers) Answer these then we can proceed accordingly

Old 05-30-05, 08:00 AM
bangback
Visiting Guest
Answers to questions

Hi,

No, all zones/devices are hard-wired.

Yes, I have a multimeter.

There is one resistor on the BELL terminals on the metal shoebox board. I cannot determine if there are resistors on the devices themselves, as they are all built into the walls (or door/window frames) -- I don't want to tear these down just to check sensors, since I am in the process of selling.

Curiously, there is a package of resistors in the metal shoebox....

Old 05-30-05, 09:02 AM
S
Ok if the resistor pack is still in the panel. They have it set up for nc zones. Make a small jumper out of a piece of wire remove the wires from a zone and replace them with this jumper. Go to the keypad and see if that zone is now clear. If so read the loop wires you disconnected(meter either on continuity or 200 ohms) should have a reading of under 50 ohms. But not open. Are all of your wires home run to panel seperately for each opening?

Old 05-30-05, 10:19 AM
bangback
Visiting Guest
No change with jumper

Hi,

I unscrewed/removed the Z1 and COM screws on the "zone connection bar" (for lack of a better term) and replaced them with the jumper. The zone indicator light remained lit. I measured the ohms across the Z1 and COM wires and got a reading of 3.8 ohms. I got similar results when doing the same thing on the Z5, COM, and Z6 wires.

The zone connection bar has screw-tighten clamp connections that are labelled something like this:

1 PGM 2 | Z1 | COM | Z2 | Z3 | COM | Z4 | Z5 | COM | Z6

PGM 1 and 2 are empty. Z1 thru Z6 each have one wire. Each COM connection has two wires.

I am not 100% sure on what you're asking here when you speak of all openings being home run separately to the panel. I do see approximately 19 dozen pairs of wires with a white coating, all of which are joined by a blue splice connector. They appear to be daisy-chaining all the sensors on a given zone because the Z1 terminal is connected to one wire of one of these white wire pairs via a pigtail. The other wire in this pair is spliced to a wire in another white pair, which in turn is spliced to yet another wire pair.....and so on. All six zones appear to be connected via this daisy-chain arrangement.

Old 05-30-05, 10:38 AM
S
Your description answered my question yes they are home run. The only hope I can give you is to go into programming go to sec. 013 make sure the 1 is on

Old 05-30-05, 10:50 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 139 Votes on 128 Posts
It sounds like you might have a real issue. If neither the wire jumpers or the resistors close the zones, then you can try "rebooting" the panel. Remove one of the battery terminals, remove AC power wait a minute or so, the power back up, AC then battery.

You will have to reset the system clock, after this, but it may unstick the system. Your zones are reading correctly closed, by your ohmmeter reading. If the restart doesn't cure the problem, then you may need to replace the system board (DSC makes good hardware, but is a bit more sensitive to voltage transients than others. In a lightning intensive region like FL, this can be a problem.)

Old 05-30-05, 04:43 PM
bangback
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up Problem fixed! =)

Hi all,

Bingo! SteveFL gets the prize for fixing my problem!

As soon as I changed that setting in section 013, all zones cleared up and the system made Ready. To be sure, I also opened & closed windows and such to see that their statuses changed as expected, and they did.

Thank you for your help in fixing this problem!

Cheers,
Alan

Old 05-30-05, 06:00 PM
S
one thing to keep your eye out for is if that address changed back to default during the storm. Chances are there are others.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: