Alarm for Solar Lights

Old 05-31-05, 09:12 AM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Alarm for Solar Lights

I just purchased some high-end (as high-end as they can be) solar landscaping lights for my yard. My neighbor told me his were stolen from his yard last year. I thought of an easy deterrent, but need some help with my idea.

Iím going to drive a piece of rebar into the ground at each light and attach the base of the light to the rebar by some type of light, but strong cable. Thatís easy enough. What I want to do next is attach some type of ďtrip wireĒ to each of the lights that will sound an alarm and flood light Iíll mount to my house. Thatís where I need help. I know that would be easy for an electrician/electrical engineer, but Iím neither. Iíve done some basic wiringÖlights, ceiling fans, outlets, etc. and thatís it. Can someone explain to me (in laymanís terms) how I can accomplish this? I know this sound elaborate, but Iím tired of not being able to fix up my yard because some brat might steal something. I thought of an alarm on windows where the connection in broken by magnets being pulled apart. I also thought I could run a wire along the securing-cable so that if the cable is cut, so is the wire and then the circuit is compromised. That all sounds good, but I donít know how to even start.

Thanks,
William

Old 05-31-05, 06:38 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 139 Votes on 128 Posts
I know that it sounds like more than what you want, but this really is the perfect job for one of the inexpensive all in one panels like a Simon or Lynx. For what you would spend on components to do what you want, you would have a better tool for the job. Your notion of having the alarm wire on the tie down cable is pretty much in line with one of the methods used for securing portable items.

Old 05-31-05, 07:56 PM
W
Thanks for the response. I'll see if I can find what you have referred to. Can you provide a link to either system you have suggested? I don't mind going a little overboard. I'd like to put my lights out and have some sense of them being secure.

Old 06-01-05, 04:25 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 139 Votes on 128 Posts
This is the Lynx, and this is the Simon. Of the two, the simon is probably your best bet. It's a bit more DIY friendly, and has two hardwired zones, which are what you need for your purposes. You can use the wireless portions of the system for a number of things.

Old 06-01-05, 07:06 AM
W
Thanks for the help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: