Glass Break Detector - Flaky

Old 06-09-05, 05:18 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Glass Break Detector - Flaky

Has anyone had any trouble with glass break detectors? Ranger American installed them in my new house about two years ago and a few months back they started being "tripped" randomly...3:30 am this morning.

Sadly I usually just disable this zone, which isn't safe and sometimes I forget...which gets me up in the middle of the night.

Just wondering if I should have Ranger American (or ADT) come out and try to fix them or if these things are just inherently problematic.

Old 06-09-05, 04:03 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 139 Votes on 128 Posts
You can check to make sure that the connections in the terminal strip in the device are tight, but they are an electronic device (they are basically an amplified microphone with some specialized electronic filters), and they do eventually fail. If you have more than one on a single loop, then it's hard to narrow down the culprit.

It may well be time for a replacement device or two. Two years isn't very long, but acoustic glass breaks have changed a lot in the last few years.

Old 06-09-05, 04:39 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks Ron. I can't believe that they would only last two years. I think I'll call Ranger American and see what they have to say about it.

Old 06-09-05, 05:09 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 139 Votes on 128 Posts
They should last much longer, but, as I said, sometimes entropy wins an early round. It's probably not all of your units, just one. The only way I know to figure out which one of several on a single loop is to pick one, remove it from the loop temporarily, and see if you get a repeat of the problem, if so, reconnect that one and try another... you get the idea. Finding a single glass break or motion when several are on a single zone is kinda tedious and annoying.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: