ADT Safewatch Plus Entrepreneur - General Help

Old 06-09-05, 04:01 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
ADT Safewatch Plus Entrepreneur - General Help

My fiancee and I just bought a house and inherited a now-local security system. It's the model mentioned in the title; I do have ADT's provided manual for it. As for information found inside the case, there are two stickers (one inside the door and one on the main PC board) that both reference the code A910. As far as the main IC, it's a Microchip-branded IC with Safewatch Plus V2.90 printed on it along with the code 13100085C. (I have no idea if this is useful or not).

Here's the story. When we moved in, we used it only in chime mode. Late one night the thing started beeping (not the alarm) and the TROUBLE light came on. Through some various calls (doesn't appear to be the battery) I'm guessing it's our lack of a land line. We use only mobile phones and have no use for a land line which the system apparently uses to communicate with the monitoring headquarters. Anyhow, just a simply * keypress and the thing shut off. At 2 AM, I was happy enough.

We were recently struck by lightning. This reset the chime, apparently, and also whatever was causing the TROUBLE indicator. Anyhow, since then, here's what I've done.

1) Disconnected the phone from the main PC board.

2) Followed the instructions on this board to disable the dialer. (Hold 9, 96321, 47#, ...) I then would hold 6 to turn the chime back on. For whatever reason, while tinkering downstairs in the box the thing started beeping again. I reset the dialer again, and this also reset the chime. (Why?)

3) I called ADT and somebody walked me through some codes to reset the system, and I no longer use 96321 to enter the programming mode. What I remember from this was 177* (could've been 177#) and *99*. Hopefully that means something to somebody.

4) I then turned the chime back on. For the moment, the trouble indicator is off, and the chime is on. This is exactly what I want. Is there anything else I need to do?

To those who help, thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-05, 04:18 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 89 Votes on 83 Posts
You may need to page down a bit on this forum, but there's been a series of discussions on this very model, recently. The upshot is, that some of these ADT modified systems were effectively hardcoded to _have_ to make a dialer contact with a central station.

You might find your time better spent to upgrade to a modern (more user friendly system) that doesn't mind being a standalone. All of your contacts and wiring can be re-used; you would replace the keypad(s), control, and possibly the power pack (some of the Moose panel clones used an 18 volt power supply that will eventually trash a modern 16 volt panel).
Try this thread:

Old 06-09-05, 04:39 PM
F
Well, I really don't have much use for a security system. My neighbors frequently leave their doors unlocked and in my townhouse row we have a resident who really seems to know everything that goes on. According to statistics, anyway, this area really has next to no need for such a system. Besides, I provide my own security; all I really need is an indication that somebody's in my house.

Nonetheless, is there any way to tell if the system needs to make contact? Basically, if it came down to either having to deal with a periodic beeping or no system, I'd probably disconnect the entire thing. It seems, at least, like what I did worked. Hopefully it can be used for a local siren and chime only. This is the first I've heard that the system may actually need to make contact. Though, just from what I've read here, I trust your judgment more than the national ADT representatives and the local office as well.

Thanks for the help, BTW.

Old 06-09-05, 05:05 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
According to Steve, who is a bit more of an ADT system person than I am, some of the earlier models were set up this way, and it fits with their business model.

Old 06-09-05, 06:34 PM
F
Business model like tobacco companies, huh? Once you're in, you can't get out?

By the way, the system was installed new in 1990.

Old 06-09-05, 08:01 PM
M
I think your system is trying to call out, as you suspect. Try this:
Hold 9 until it beeps 3 times; enter 96321. The system may try to dial out so you need to wait half a minute. All the lights on the keypad will light up. You'll be in programming. Enter 034#0*
This will disable the communicator. Get out of programming by entering **
This should end the trouble condition.

Last edited by Michael90; 06-09-05 at 08:02 PM. Reason: Spelling error
Old 04-14-08, 01:05 PM
M
I just bought my house and I am trying to reactivate the system but I do not know what the passcode is. Is there a way I can do that?

Old 04-14-08, 04:59 PM
mo1176,

Possibly,

You need to start a new thread and post the make and model of your system.

Old 12-06-09, 11:01 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
There were a few variants of these things made for ADT. Some of them were only slightly modified from the base Moose Z900, and some of them had some major programming changes.

Start with the following:

For the most common models, to turn off the dialer function, do the following:

Press and hold 9 until you hear 3 beeps

Enter 9[ADT installer code] all leds should flash (if they don't we have to enter program mode a different way)

Enter 47# (two beeps)

Enter 0* (2 beeps)

Enter * * to return to run mode.

This should turn off the dialer.

If that doesn't work, there are a couple of programming locations varient models. Realize, though, that there was at least one version that the dialer info could only be changed using ADT's version of the download software.

Old 11-17-10, 06:44 PM
A
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I am not sure how to start another one.
I also have the Safewatch Plus as in the title of this thread.

It has been disconnected for a long time. I replaced the battery and it beeped. I pressed 2 and held as per instructions given above and only Sta, 1 led was lit.

We would like to use the system only to activate the fire alarm in the house, not the fire department. We need it for my wife's infant care license. Licensing does not require to have the system call the fire department, just a loud enough alarm that can be heard within the building. Can I set up this system to do just that?

Any help will be deeply appreciated.

Old 11-18-10, 03:05 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
It is _possible_, however this is a 20 year old, somewhat non-standard version of a long discontinued system.

You can follow the threads and give it a try, but for something this "mission critical", spend the money and change out the control and keypad(s) for something current production

Old 01-02-15, 06:35 PM
F
Removing the "dialer" from ADT Safewatch Plus

I put in a 1993 ADT Safewatch Plus security system but last year decided to move on. I "cut the cord" and now have no telephone bills and no more telemarketing calls. I did want to preserve the 160dB fire alarm but the system would not reactivate properly without a dialer. Following Michael90's advice (posted in 2005) I did the following and it worker perfectly:

1) Hold 9 until it beeps 3 times
2) Enter 96321 (programming mode).
3) Wait half a minute. All the lights on the keypad will light up.
4) Enter 034#0* (disable the dial-out communicator)
5) Enter ** (gets you out of programming mode)

Thanks to all for this programming pearl.