DSC PC1500 - no power to the keypads - hlep

Old 06-10-05, 07:01 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question DSC PC1500 - no power to the keypads - hlep

While I was working on my power vent in the attic, I stepped on piece of plywood, which edge smashed a red wire. When my son walked in from the garage door, the alarm was sound, even though, the system was disarmed at the time.

When I got down from the attic, I found that all three keypads lost power (their LEDs are all off). The motion detector's LED is also off. I suspect that the red wire is the power line that connects everything together.

We current doesn't use a monitoring service. I do have a sheet of paper that left from the previous owner to show how to get into the program mode. Here are my questions:
1. how to open a keypad to verify that the power is the root cause?
2. does anyone has wiring diagrams for the control panel, so that, I can identify where is the power connector?
3. after I fixed the red wire, do I have to go through some kind of setup steps to configure the system, or it should remember the old setting? I did disconnect the battery and the plug for s short period of time.
4. since this is really the first time I have to deal with a security system, is there any other concerns? Or should I just call a security contractor to fix it for me?

Thanks.

Old 06-10-05, 03:11 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 139 Votes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by kgach
Here are my questions:
1. how to open a keypad to verify that the power is the root cause?
2. does anyone has wiring diagrams for the control panel, so that, I can identify where is the power connector?
3. after I fixed the red wire, do I have to go through some kind of setup steps to configure the system, or it should remember the old setting? I did disconnect the battery and the plug for s short period of time.
4. since this is really the first time I have to deal with a security system, is there any other concerns? Or should I just call a security contractor to fix it for me?
You shouldn't need to open the keypad. Your testing should all be back at the control.

This was a _very_ common system. Many vendors have the installer manual in PDF format. Normally, there is a system diagram on the inside door of the system box.

The only thing that you will have to reset when power is restored, is setting the system clock. The other information is in an eprom, and doesn't fade without power.

Most likely, what you did was blow one of the fuses on the control. They are teeny little glass cartridge fuses on the upper left of the system PC board.

Old 06-13-05, 08:30 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You are right! The 1AMP fuse is out.

Where can I find it? RadioShack?
I also need to add a piece of wire to fix the broken section. Can I use an ethernet Cat5E wire (2 out of the 4 twisted pairs)?

Thanks.

Old 06-13-05, 02:39 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 139 Votes on 128 Posts
Some RS outlets stock them. They are an unusually small fuse, but they can be had. If not from them, some DSC dealers stock them, as well as some electronic/electrical supply houses.

The cat-5 wire will work, but it's a little light. A better choice is the old style telephone cable (normally this stuff is 22 ga, while the cat-5 is around 24 ga). In either case, _do not_ use wire nuts. Go with telephone style crimps. Wire at this gauge will escape anything less, or will simply break inside the wire nut.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: