Safewatch 3000EN Keypad not working after lightening hit

Old 07-21-05, 06:03 PM
shump76
Visiting Guest
Safewatch 3000EN Keypad not working after lightening hit

Hello all! We had a bad storm that took out our phone, modem, dish, and the alarm. The siren continued to sound until I disconnected the battery and the transformer. I had my stepfather check the transformer and he said it is good.(I think he said it was around 18-19V, not 100% sure, but said it was good) I get about 13.5V at the back of the keypad at all connections. The keypads green lights come on, but when I enter my code, the keys beep once, and then it will not beep anymore. There is no display in the screen, no alarm/disarm lights. When I went into the box with the key, I checked across terminals 5,6,7, & 8. They all have about 13.5V, with the exception of #6. which is labeled as: Data in from touchpad. Can someone please give me some advice, so I can same some $$$! Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 07-21-05, 10:38 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Seein-as lightning hit your place and got in to your electrical - you probably lost the alarm stuff....

Try to reboot the system
1. disconect one terminal of the battery
2. disconect one wire from the transformer or unplug it
3. go have a cup of coffee
4. reconnect the transformer
5. reconnect the battery
6. wait for warm-up
7. try it again!

Good luck!
Jim

Old 07-22-05, 02:21 PM
Lightning

What is the measurement across the data in and data out? If it is zero, disconnect the wires that are attached to data in and data out. Take the measurement again. If it is zero again, sorry. If has a small amount of voltage across the terminals, the problem could be just your keypad.

Old 07-25-05, 10:04 PM
Living in Northern Indiana, I have seen my share of "direct hits or near misses" and the damage it can cause now and in the future.

The first system I quoted for Lightning repair, I was way off!! 66 man hours and many service calls and parts later, I made a final decision to not do lightning damage work....

Now, "If you think" you were hit or other devices have failed, we only remove and replace the entire system including wire - everything. We do not "service the bad system"!

I dont know how bad it is but you can probably figure the worst by the sound of your post!

Let us know what you figure out, I'd like to know!
Jim

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: