Choosing replacement system....I need your help again!!!

Old 08-04-05, 10:45 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Choosing replacement system....I need your help again!!!

Hi everyone!!!;

I have to replace my Safewatch Pro 3000 panel board because apparently it got toasted by lighting (see my previous thread). Hoping to replace just the panel board; I just found out from my (to be) monitoring company (TimeWarner HS in Houston, TX) that their digital phone system does not support this system; yes I just switched to digital phone (is part of the cable+IP+DigPh combo). Of course, the sales guy didn't tell me this at the time of selling me the package. They offered me a system for $150, but I have to buy two extra keypad for $100 each.

Besides having to pay for the keypads; I also have concerns about the system itself. It is a First Alert Model SA-148C, which I can not find any info on. I thought this guys only manufactured smoke and CO detectors.

Has anyone heard of this HSS; and if so, is it reliable and accurate?

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Take care,

Leo.

Old 08-04-05, 03:19 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 314 Upvotes on 289 Posts
A FA-148 is slightly modified Ademco Vista 15p (The SW-3000 is a modified Vista 20p; the 148 is a less complex version of what you had, they even use the same programming manual).

Unless they were damaged by the lightning strike, your existing keypads would be compatible with this system, so unless the new keypads are an upgrade (2-line alpha from your existing fixed alpha), there may be no need to replace them (it's rare for panel damage like you described to damage keypads).

Personally, I think that they may be giving you incomplete information.

Old 08-18-05, 09:32 AM
jeffx
Visiting Guest
Vista 20P with Timewarner digital phone

I use an Ademco Vista 20P alarm system with the Time Warner digital phone without any problems. When Time Warner set up my digital phone, they even helped me re-wire my phone lines for the alarm system.

I purchased my monitoring service through LufkinSecurity.com (no affiliation) for $5/month.

Old 08-19-05, 05:50 PM
L
Time Warner is telling me that the Safewatch Pro 3000 does not work with digital phone only analog; that's why I must replace it. The tech said he used to work for ADT and they still refuse to upgrade their system to support digital.

Now I'm confused. Please advise.

Old 08-19-05, 06:09 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Please read the section of the FAQ where the issue of Voip and security systems is discussed.

In a nutshell, there is _no_ practical difference between a Vista 20p, a Vista 15p, a SW-3000, or a FA-148C with regard to the communicator hardware built into the panels. You might have to use one of the "old school" formats like 4+2 instead of Contact ID, but if your phones are wired correctly, you shouldn't have an issue.

If I had to guess, I suspect that the issue is that their version of the remote programming software is not compatible with the ADT panel (their versions of the panels do have significant differences at the software level).

I'm not trying to be critical, but I get a strong sense that this TW help line is not giving you complete information.

Old 08-19-05, 06:23 PM
L
Thanks MrRon for your prompt answer; you're indeed a GREAT asset to this forum.

I've a feeling that they just want to sell me another panel...period. The issue is that the old panel burned out because of lighting. I found out that Time Warner never grounded the feeding line, as required by NEC. Besides the panel, my laptop, AV, and cable modem also burned out. They replaced the modem (obviously) but do not want to admit any responsibilty for any act of nature. I'm sorry, this is beyond the point here.

I'm thinking about getting a system from Lufkin; any suggestions?

TIA.

Old 08-19-05, 11:01 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Since you already have ademco keypads that are probably perfectly functional, I'd stick with the Ademco/Honeywell family. The Vista-20p has pretty much become their basic 8 zone panel. The 15p is nearly identical, but only has 6 hardwired zones. These are the base panels that ADT, First Alert, and SecurityLink all clone.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: