MOVED:Installing Covert Cam

Old 08-10-05, 10:37 PM
Supernewbie
Visiting Guest
Question Installing Covert Cam

I am not sure if anyone can help me with this project but I attempting to install a mini cam inside of a tower fan that my wife bought at Walmart. We both work long hours and have 2 teenage sons...need I say more. Before I go spend alot of money buying one, I thought I would research and find out how difficult this project may be. I am not an electrician nor do I want to damage something and I need to now how to attach the power (12 volt DC) to a 120v plug. What tools and parts will I need? What camera would you recommend? All the help or advise you could give.

Old 08-12-05, 03:16 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 314 Upvotes on 289 Posts
Hmmmm.

They make some pretty small cameras, this site has some examples. There are several already disguised models that may be easier (and safer) than what you are trying to do.

You need some specifics:
Wired or wireless?
What are you going to view/record on (normal VCR have problems with this kind of thing)?

Closed Circuit video can be pretty tricky to set up.

Old 08-13-05, 03:40 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
120v AC to 12v DC transformers are everywhere and the camera may even come with one. However, I guess you want to hide that inside the fan case, tapping off the fan's cord. Be aware these transformers are at least the size of walnuts, and generate some heat which could build up inside a confined space - that shouldn't be a problem.

You then have the signal wires to conceal, maybe by replacing the fan cord with one carrying more strands, leading to an outlet behind furniture. Or use wireless signal, more expensive.

A lot easier to conceal wires inside a wall or ceiling, with fixed camera. It can look like a smoke detector, ceiling fan, etc.

This POSTING has been edited.

Please adhere to Forum Policies

DoItYourself.com Community Forum member postings must be courteous, polite and make a positive contribution to the topic discussion. Never degrade any other person or the information any member provides. Treat each other with respect, dignity, professionalism and a general high regard at all times.

Publicly second-guessing, harassing, belittling and or ridiculing are all prohibited. Moderators and members donate their time to make the Forums a Better Community. Content that may be interpreted as offensive, objectionable and/or inappropriate in a reasonable persons view is prohibited.

Doug Aleshire
Super Moderator 2

Last edited by Doug Aleshire; 08-13-05 at 04:45 PM. Reason: Forum Posting Violation - Please Adhere to Polices

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: