New to Home Security! What is best for me?

Old 08-22-05, 09:14 AM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question New to Home Security! What is best for me?

I will be moving into my first home next month (south of Atlanta). I will be living alone and really want to get a security system installed since all the bedrooms are on the 2nd floor. The home will be prewired for a security system.

Where do I start?

I'm not even sure if I want a monitored system or just a really LOUD siren.

What are the average monthly rates for a monitored system?
Can someone point me in the direction to get info on this?

Thanks a lot for any help offered!!

PS Only forum I can not use the search function

Old 08-22-05, 05:57 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 312 Upvotes on 287 Posts
Monitoring can range between 10 and 30+/month, depending on the features and level of service you want.

Monitoring has a lot of plusses. So long as the system is properly set up so that you don't get false alarm issues, especially if you have hardwired smoke detectors, it's a great sense of peace of mind.

Decide just _what_ you want the system to do. That's the starting point.

Take a look at the websites for the major brands like Honeywell/Ademco; GE (Networx/caddx, ITI): DSC; Napco, etc. Most of them have very good feature descriptions for their systems. That can help you narrow down your choices.

Old 08-23-05, 03:00 AM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Thanks for the response and info on the security companies. I am going to look at each indivdual web site for info.

A buddy of mine was also telling me to look into the systems that can be purchased and installed by myself. He said this may be the best way to go since I do not care to have the monitored service and the home will be prewired for a security system.

Thanks again!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: