DSC 1555MX poling failure

Old 08-28-05, 01:41 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
DSC 1555MX poling failure

My system is monitored using a IP modem by Next Alarm.
The last couple of nights it reported a poling failure and than a poling restore again. I contributed these errors due to a internet outage, but yesterday the system reported a poling failure and would not restore.
I tested the IP modem and get a dailtone and the correct voltage (the system does not report a TLM), reset the complete system but the poling failure returned.
Any suggestions?

Old 08-28-05, 03:32 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 314 Upvotes on 289 Posts
Just to be clear, is the _alarm panel_ showing a failure to communicate, or is this an issue with the _IP modem_?

Old 08-28-05, 04:42 PM
C
Red face

I wish I knew what the problem was, but the alarm indication is from the alarm panel with the led 4 lid.
I first rebooted the Firewall, (the IP modem is behind the firewall) and no change.
I completey powered down the firewall, waited and powered it back up.
Then powered down the IP modem, waited 10 seconds & plugged it back in.
Still the same problem.
Next powered down the alarm system (both batteries and main power disconnected.
Restored battery than the main power supply and still same problem.

Just powered down the modem one more time and it now restored the poling and also reported the arming and disarming properly again.

Bottom line, it is working again but don't know whether the problem is in the modem or the alarm. My expectation is that the problem is on the IP side and not the alarm system.

Old 08-28-05, 05:13 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Using VOIP type communication with alarm systems can be problematic. As I stated in the FAQ there are issues yet to be resolved. See this article from a security trade magazine. You may have to change the protocal you are trying to communicate with.

There are actual network communication modules available for many of the major panels, but I can honestly say that I've never had to install one, so I cannot give you any real-world info.

99% of the time the communication is the issue, not the alarm unit.

Old 08-28-05, 06:32 PM
C
I agree with you regarding VOIP, but I am using a ABN adapter that transimit the Contact ID info over IP as per the description below.

It has been working flawless for months, but al of a sudden started to case problems.

ABN Broadband Adapter

The ABN Broadband Adapter allows NextAlarm.com to monitor the Abbra and most other Contact ID enabled security systems, through your existing broadband Internet connection. The ABN Adapter comes pre-configured to work with NextAlarm.com, and requires minimal setup.
Supplied pre-configured and complete with adapter kit (required) and power supply, ready to connect to your alarm control panel.

Thanks for your feed back

Old 08-29-05, 03:14 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I can't speak for that adapter, it's a device I've never needed to handle. It sounds like it simply digitizes the DTMF tones that Contact ID uses. You could try evesdropping on the dialer with a buttset, but that's all that I could think of.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: