New house, new alarm needed

Old 09-23-05, 12:31 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New house, new alarm needed

Just bought our first house and it came with a Brinks unit (the cheap one with a couple monitors and a motion sensor) Reason for replacing, batt. back-up is shot and a few buttons don't work.

What I would like is a system that can monitor 9 windows, 2 doors, motion, siren and a light (not sure if there is the light option) Of course be expandable as we plan to do some construction that will end up with another door and possibly 2 more windows.

Ademco looks pretty good, but it seems their smaller systems are discontinued.

Thanks for the help

Old 09-23-05, 06:30 PM
New Home

Congrats on the purchase of your new home. Chosing an alarm system to fit your needs now and in the future is a great idea. First if I can ask, what type of house is it? Is there a crawl space and is it accessable and fairly clean? Second, do you have a second floor or an attic? Do you want to have wireless or hardwired devices? I suggest hardwire as many devices as possible? Was the old system hardwired or wireless? A couple of suggestions for systems that are reliable are the Ademco Vista 20. That system has the capability to have 14 zones on the panel with zone doubling enabled. It can have several keypads, and two partitions. A partition is like having two seperate alarms in different areas of the home or business. It also has the capabilities of being wireless with the addition of a wireless reciever. General Electric has several systems are are also comparable to the Ademco brand. A couple of them are the NX8, and Concord. If you want to have complete flexability and have the options of home automation I suggest the ELK M-1. You can see the above security panels at the manufactures websites: www.security.honeywell.com which is Ademco, www.gesecurity.com, and www.elkproducts.com. Also if you don't mind, what state do you live in? Good luck and congrats on you new home.

Old 09-24-05, 06:33 AM
Originally Posted by Security Solver
Congrats on the purchase of your new home. Chosing an alarm system to fit your needs now and in the future is a great idea. First if I can ask, what type of house is it? Is there a crawl space and is it accessable and fairly clean?

- Raised home, very clean underneath.

Second, do you have a second floor or an attic?

- attic unfinished, going to finish a section for storage.

Do you want to have wireless or hardwired devices? I suggest hardwire as many devices as possible? Was the old system hardwired or wireless?

- Old system is hardwired, plan on using the same.

A couple of suggestions for systems that are reliable are the Ademco Vista 20. That system has the capability to have 14 zones on the panel with zone doubling enabled. It can have several keypads, and two partitions. A partition is like having two seperate alarms in different areas of the home or business. It also has the capabilities of being wireless with the addition of a wireless reciever. General Electric has several systems are are also comparable to the Ademco brand. A couple of them are the NX8, and Concord. If you want to have complete flexability and have the options of home automation I suggest the ELK M-1. You can see the above security panels at the manufactures websites: www.security.honeywell.com which is Ademco, www.gesecurity.com, and www.elkproducts.com. Also if you don't mind, what state do you live in? Good luck and congrats on you new home.

I will look into the above info, thanks for the help

Old 09-24-05, 06:41 PM
new home

Great, I would go completly hardwired. I hope that I was of some help. Also if you decide to have the system monitored, go with a local company. You will likely have to pay for the entire system upfront, but the cost savings are worth it. The large security companies will charge a fortune for their services. If you go with a local company, make sure that they are licensed and bonded in your state. Local alarm companies will sometimes have a seperate monitoring company to monitor their accounts. Going that way can save you at least $20.00/month.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: