Strange DSC 832 problem

Old 10-09-05, 01:57 PM
DWhite572
Visiting Guest
Strange DSC 832 problem

I'm trying to add a new zone to a DSC 832 PC5010 alarm panel. The new zone is on a 5108 zone expander and would be zone 10. Zone 9 is already on th 5108 and functions normally. I've defined zone 10 as an "instant" zone. Zone 10 is enabled for partition 1 as are all the rest. The zones are defined as NC loops. When I initially connect the loop to the 5108, everything appears normal and the ready light is on. When I arm the panel in "stay" mode, the panel alarms immediately after the exit delay time (haven't tried away mode). After I reset the panel, the ready light is off and shows zone 10 as open. In order to trouble shoot, I only have a a four foot section of wire connected to the zone. If I short the ends of the wire together, the ready light comes on as before, but if I try to arm the panel, it still alarms. I'm using DLS2002 to program the panel and zone 10 is defined just like all of the other instant zones. What am I missing?

Old 10-09-05, 04:21 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 293 Upvotes on 268 Posts
Not having your screen on the software to look at, I can't even start to guess as to whether you have a minor programming glitch.

Step away from the software, and check your zone settings using keypad programming (I know, primative, but it eliminates what I, personally find to be a bit of a confusing interface). If you have the system set as straight NC zones (no need for the resistor) then it should work as you plan. If you have the system still set to need the resistor, then the shorted wire would generate an alarm.

The only other thing that I can think of, is possibly having a keypad zone input enabled as zone 10 that's confusing things.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: