How to test 5853 Wireless Glassbreak Sensor

Old 10-17-05, 07:10 AM
RickDIII
Visiting Guest
How to test 5853 Wireless Glassbreak Sensor

Is there any way to test my Ademco 5853 Wireless Glassbreak Sensors without a) the actual testing device b) shattering the glass in my windows?

I know that they connect to the system. I have four of them on my system and would like to know if I have them placed correctly to pick up actuall glass breakage.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-05, 05:32 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 38 Votes on 37 Posts
Without the sound generator, being precise about placement is pretty tough. I have pulled it off before by dropping my fairly large key ring onto a hard floor. You can also test the response by shaking the keys next to the sensor.

For placement, though, as long as the windows are within 20 feet of the detector, and your curtains aren't extremely heavy, they work pretty well.

Old 10-18-05, 12:42 PM
RickDIII
Visiting Guest
Thanks!

Thanks, I'll try the key thing! It will make me feel better than no test at all.

Old 03-03-13, 07:40 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I have just installed 2 5853 Glass Break detectors and tried to test them with the FG-701 tester. They go well onto test mode, but when I do the window glass break test, the RED LED never get ON, I only get the GREEN LED flickering.

If I gently hit it with me finger it goes RED ON and I get the chime response on keypad.

It is well located on front wall of the window, a little more than 7 feet from floor, nothing from the window to the 5853. I've even tried testing with the sound generator near the 5853 what I always get is GREEN flickering no matter from where I test, even in front of it.

I've tried ARMING the system and well I just tried 3 times, I don't want it PANIC my neighbor and 3 attempts one triggered.

All room was quiet, like no one was on the house.

What could be wrong ?

Thanks

Old 03-03-13, 09:28 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 38 Votes on 37 Posts
They have tried to make these a lot more resistant to false alarms from ambient sound, so they can be tricky to get a solid test on.

I have an older Rokonet simulator that actually works better since the cone on the speaker cracked from age, but i've also gotten good tests from a handfull of coins in a drink can.

You do get some variation from local acoustics, but we've had a couple of these perform well in the field, so I can say with confidence, that they do work, and well... (There was a local rash of people shooting ball bearings through storefront windows with a wrist-rocket)

Old 03-04-13, 05:50 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Great, that worked and I learned how the FG-701 was and it worked also ! The thing is that as I read on a review from Amazon

"I purchased a FG701 that simulates a "flex" event followed by sound of breaking glass. The flex event, which was never well-defined anywhere, is basically an object hitting glass prior to a break. Combined, this sensor looks for a flex (thud of something hitting glass), followed by a breaking glass sound. This helps eliminate false-positives."

Then I saw my 2 yrs. old son hitting the glass with a toy and that was the "flex" I needed.

GREEN and RED LED ON now !

Thanks !