DSC Power 632 Alarm System

Old 10-17-05, 09:18 AM
jphavener
Visiting Guest
DSC Power 632 Alarm System

Hello Everyone! I recently bought a new home and the builder put the above mentioned alarm system in. I was wondering if this is a decent system? Right now it has 2 keypads(front and garage entry doors) and 2 motion detectors(probably not pet friendly). There are smoke detectors also, not sure exactly how many, I haven't counted them all but I would guess 4-5 of those. I have not contacted anyone to monitor the system yet.

I am wanting to upgrade the motion detectors to a pet immune version and was curious what models would be recommended. I have 2 beagles that weigh in around 20lbs each. I have read that the DSC pet immune detectors simply avoid scanning below a certain height. Is this correct?

I also would like to add a 3rd keypad in the master bedroom and am also considering some sort of glass break detection also.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Old 10-17-05, 04:49 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 265 Upvotes on 244 Posts
It's a pretty good system. They are not the most DIY friendly (DSC manuals are notoriously obtuse), but it is excellent hardware.

All "pet immune" detectors use a combination of thermal limiting and specific mounting requirements to pull of the trick. Pretty much any of the major brands (Sentrol, Optex, DSC, Ademco, Detection Systems, Visonic, etc.) are roughly equal in their specs in a given application range.

Your dogs are pretty small, you can try testing the system with them inside and see if they trip the motions. You can also simply bypass the detectors (if your system was properly set up, motions should be on discrete zones, or at least one interior zone), by arming in stay mode instead of away.

With any luck, your house was prewired for a keypad in the MB. It's a standard location. The toughest part is finding the end in the bedroom (I use an electronic tone generator to "sniff" behind the drywall for situations like that). If not, depending on the relative location between the panel and the devices you want to add, it can be pretty tough to add new wiring.

Old 10-17-05, 05:39 PM
jphavener
Visiting Guest
MrRon,

Thanks for the reply. That is a good suggestion about seeing if they will set off the current detectors. I have no idea how it has been set up, I don't have any manuals or anything for it. I don't even know how to arm the dang thing. They told me to contact the company that installed it to get them and have them set up monitoring. I'm not sure if they wired the MB for a keypad or not. Fortunately my attic is wide open so getting access to the headers is no problem, the hardest part will be getting the wires to the control panel. If I do need to add wire, what do I use?

Are there any good sites for info on the DSC products? Do you know where I might be able to get the manuals short of calling and setting up an appointment with the alarm company? I am an engineer so difficult instructions are not too daunting to me.

Any suggestions on a glass break sensor? Are they worth it? Is one any better than the other?

Thanks again for the help.

Jeff

Old 10-17-05, 08:15 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
User Manuals and system specs are readily available from the DSC website. Installation manuals are available from a number of vendors on the web. Just check some of the previous topics on this forum, the question comes up, often. The proper model number is PC 1555. For wire, 22 gauge, 4 conductor will will serve any alarm need you want (old style telephone wire).

I personally favor glass breaks over motions for locations like sliding glass doors and big windows that are near ground level. All of them use similar technology. I'm not brand loyal, and buy the major brand that's on sale.

If you are planning on expanding your system very much, you will probably need to get a zone expander (the system will support up to 32 zones). It is much better to put things like glassbreaks and motions on individual zones.

Old 10-17-05, 08:27 PM
jphavener
Visiting Guest
Thanks again for the help. I'll start investigating stuff and see what I can figure out. I definitely need to find an installation manual. I already have a few questions that the users manual doesn't answer.

By the way, what's the difference between the PC1555 and the PC1555MX? I have the latter. Is the installation manual any different? I have the one for the 1555.

Last edited by jphavener; 10-17-05 at 08:38 PM. Reason: Forgot one thing...
Old 10-18-05, 04:34 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
The difference between the original model and the MX are pretty small. Mostly a couple of obscure features that are seldom used.

Old 10-20-05, 07:44 PM
jphavener
Visiting Guest
Alright, got everything figured out. I defaulted the board(wasn't locked, thankfully) and was able to reset everything. The only problem I have now is that I have VOIP phone service and am not sure if I will be able to get it to work with the alarm. Anyone have any success stories with this?

Old 10-20-05, 07:58 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
In general, VOIP should work for simple functions like pager communication. That's just touch-tone transmission. More advanced communications like Contact ID or the like are what tend to have problems. The biggest trick is making sure that the panel has something resembling a dialtone.

This article from a security trade magazine gives you an idea of some of the roadblocks.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: