Would you recommend a NX-8e for me?

Old 01-03-06, 12:48 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Arrow Would you recommend a NX-8e for me?

I'm looking at getting a security alarm for my house.

Please forgive my "newbie" state. Never had an alarm system, but consider myself pretty "tech" friendly.

I need a WIRELESS system as my house wasn't wired for hard sensors and my basement is finished with a drywall ceiling. Not looking at going thru the hassel of running wires. Need/want wireless freedom here.

House is ~3600 sq ft total. Ranch house with a walk-out basement. Total of 4 doors to the outside (plus 2 doors to the garage). Total of 21 windows (of which about ~6 couldn't be broken into without a BIG ladder).

So, in theory 4-6 doors and 15+ windows need sensors.

I'd like to integrate my smoke detectors if possible. I have 8 hard-wired Kidde 1275 smoke detectors. I have one that is in the same room that my security cabinet will be in. Will I be able to do this?

I'd like to be able to intergrate via RS232 into my home automation system. Will need a long run from the security panel to the equipment rack to integrate with my automation system. Probably a 25-35' cable run. Can I do this with CAT5?

I'd like to be able to call in and disarm or turn of the alarm system if possible. I'd also like the system to call my parents or me if an alarm is tripped. I'm NOT going to be able to run all my phone wires thru the security panel and out to the phones (already hidden in joists/walls), but can pull a wire or two from the phone box outside directly into panel if needed. Will this work?

Keypad, will probably only use "1" as my touch screens in my automation system will act as keypads also. The NX148E looks to be my top choice, can I use it for programming or is another one needed? Is this a decent choice if only using one? Keypad require just a 120 connection, or does it require a CAT5 or something?

Presume, if I'm correct and you guys think this system would be a decent choice for me, I'd need:
NX-8e board/panel
NX148e keypad LCD
NX540 telephone board
NX584 automation/RS232 board
NX448 48 zone wireless expansion board
sensors
battery
sirens

Sorry for being lengthy, but from reading/browsing these forums, looks like there are some great guys willing to help out here.

**THANKS**

Old 01-03-06, 05:32 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 293 Upvotes on 268 Posts
I will preface this with the observation that the NX systems are my personal preference. They aren't the simplest to program and setup, but neither are they the most difficult.

It sounds like you have a pretty good idea of what you want (If only a quarter of my clients did...).

If you are going with the NX-8e, then you don't need the NX584 board, that functionality is already part of the 8e. Just realize that GE/Networx doesn't provide a lot of hard details on the home automation interface.

They have recently added the Nx-587 virtual keypad that can operate the system via the Hyperterminal program.

Realize that you will have to hardwire for keypad, siren(s), power and telco, plus any computer connections, but by choosing your panel location carefully, you can keep that at a miminum.

I like the NX-540, but do realize that it is kinda flakey about working on DSL enabled telco lines, and I doubt that it will work on a VOIP phone system at all.

When you learn in all of your wireless transmitters, number them ahead of time with a marker, and learn them in _before_ you mount them. You will save yourself a lot of frenzied running back and forth.

Old 01-04-06, 10:59 AM
Brett_Griffin
Visiting Guest
What kind of automation system are you using?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: