no dial tone after connecting alarm


  #1  
Old 01-18-06, 04:41 PM
R
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 3
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
no dial tone after connecting alarm

I had to re-route the cable from my alarm system to my phone punch box. Simple enough to do, however after disconnecting the line from my phone box, re-routing the cable and plugging it back in, my phones no longer work. I can disconnect the phone wire from the alarm and the phones work fine. I've tried replacing the cable just in case I pinched it -- no luck. I also tried a new phone module and again no luck. Everything worked fine prior to the change. It is almost like the alarm system is not allowing the phone line to come back through when it is plugged in. This worked fine prior to me re-routing the wire. The alarm is a dsc832 with a pc5010 board. I've also powered down the system completely (removed battery as well) thinking maybe it just needed reset. Again no luck. Seems like it has to be something obvious. Anbody have any suggestions?

Thanks!
 

Last edited by ronnkir; 01-18-06 at 05:56 PM.
  #2  
Old 01-18-06, 07:32 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Gainesville, FL, USA
Posts: 15,586
Received 312 Upvotes on 287 Posts
Check your wiring carefully. Follow the link in the FAQ post at the head of the forum to make sure you are wiring the RJ-31 correctly. If I had to guess, I'd say that you either have the incoming and house line return reversed, or you have some thing skinned or wired in such a way that it make's the phone look like it's off hook, which makes the Telco switching gear kill the dialtone after a few minutes.
 
  #3  
Old 01-19-06, 07:43 PM
R
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 3
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Well this is the interesting part...the rj-31 module is part of the phone punch block (Leviton Phone Security Module), so to disconnect the wire I simply unplugged the jack from the module, moved the wire and plugged it back in. I didn't have to re-wire/re-connect anything - just unplug and plug back in. So everything was working perfectly, I unplugged the jack from the phone module and had it unplugged for about 45 minutes and then plugged it back in -- now no dial tone on any phone. Unplug the jack and the phones are back in service (immediately), plug it in and no dial tone (immediately). I spoke with my alarm company and they said I must have "fried" something in the alarm board when I moved the wire and they need to come out and take a look. Does this sound possible - I'm a little skeptical? Is there someway I can test the board itself? All other functions of the alarm work just fine. Thanks for the help!
 
  #4  
Old 01-20-06, 03:33 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Gainesville, FL, USA
Posts: 15,586
Received 312 Upvotes on 287 Posts
I seriously doubt you damaged the alarm panel by unplugging the cable and relocating it. I just have a strong sense that there's some subtle wiring oops that you may simply not know to even look for. I think the problem may be downstream of the alarm.

I don't know what your phone block looks like, but here's something to try:

At the alarm panel, remove the wires from the T1 and R1 terminals (the house line return). Leave the R and T (red and Green) connected. Temporarily wire a phone jack to the T1 and R1. Plug the RJ 31 back in. If you have a dial tone at the temporary jack, then the problem is external to the alarm panel.
 
  #5  
Old 01-21-06, 08:10 AM
R
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 3
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Okay, after playing around I solved the problem -- it was a faulty wire. I did as you suggested (connect a phone to the T1 and R1 terminals on the alarm panel) and did not receive a dial tone. I then plugged a phone into the security jack on the phone block and received a dial tone and all my other phones went dead -- which from my understanding after reading a lot of posts on this forum is what one would expect. So, it appears that the upstream 'stuff' is functioning and it is the alarm panel that may be the culprit -- based on these two tests. I then decided to see if I could get my dial tone through the ring and tip lines and you guessed it, no dial tone. At this point I realized it had to be the wire. I grabbed a new one put it in place and now all is well. Not sure what I did wrong previously when I tried the new wire, but this time it worked. Thanks for the help and suggestions. It led me to the problem!
 

Last edited by ronnkir; 01-21-06 at 01:46 PM.
  #6  
Old 01-21-06, 07:21 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Gainesville, FL, USA
Posts: 15,586
Received 312 Upvotes on 287 Posts
Glad it worked out. It didn't sound like an alarm hardware issue. It could be anything from a conductor breaking at a kink in the cable to a staple through one conductor.
 
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: