Bought home w/ DSC832 P5010/Restart

Old 02-04-06, 03:37 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Bought home w/ DSC832 P5010/Restart

I bought a home with a DSC 832 system. The seller had vacated to premises and left me with nothing regarding the system. I've never had an alarm before. It was monitored by CPI, although right now we're not interested in monitoring. My main concern is arming the smoke detectors to work. I have no idea where to start! I haven't touched it, I'm afraid a siren will go off and then I wouldn't know what to do!

There are 4 entry doors each on separate zone.
2 separate motion zones. 1 zone for smoke and 1 zone for smoke/heat.

I want to disarm the motion because we have two dogs.

I see the ready light is on and the trouble light is on. What would be the trouble?
Any advice on where to start would be appreciated. I have found the Installer and User manuals on-line.
Thanks

Last edited by cdacaw; 02-04-06 at 05:49 AM. Reason: more info
Old 02-04-06, 08:49 AM
A
Well the system can be changed to suit your needs and be local, assuming CPI didnt use the installer lockout. I'm not familiar with them my self so i dont know if they use it or not. The first step would be to get a set of manuals. 832 has 3 manuals, the user, installation and programming worksheets.

Once you have those it will be easier to help you with the system, as you will understand more what were getting you to do.

can try a local dealer for the manuals but i wouldnt count on them giving it up. Or online www.tech-man.com or many other websites.

Old 02-06-06, 04:07 PM
C
Ok, I've got the manuals. How would I go about re-setting the system?

Old 02-06-06, 05:30 PM
A
Have a read through the manuals. And make sure you understand a little of what it is saying first. Then there is a section on defaulting the panel. That will however reset the panel back to factory settings.

If you have a zone list handy i can help layout your programming for you will make it a bit easier.

But with a fresh start on the panel none of CPI's settings will be in there. Assuming it isnt installer locked.

Sorry just re read you said you have a zone with smoke/heat? Is it a combination unit or is it 2 seprate detectors? Smoke detectors and heat detectors(for fire) shouldnt be combined as they are usually set diffrently.

Old 02-07-06, 04:58 PM
C
Ok, Here what I know so far. I have, I think a 5508 keypad/LED....
It has laid out on the inside cover. 1. door 2. door 3. door 4. door
5. smoke/ heat 6. smoke sensors 7. motion 8. motion.
Maybe zone isn't the correct verbiage. If either 1/2/3/4/7/8 is open/activated the corresponding light on the keypad is illuminated.
There are 2 smoke detectors in the house, I guess both go to # 5.

Smoke/Heat, I have no idea. I dont see any visible sensor inside.

Thanks for all assistance, and sorry for being so non-knowledgable.

Old 02-07-06, 06:05 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 293 Upvotes on 268 Posts
Ok, it sounds like you are at a good starting point. First, realize that alarm installer manuals are _not_ linear, especially not DSC, so be prepared to page flip a lot.

The first big test is whether you got stuck with installer lockout. Open the cabinet with the battery, and remove both AC and battery power. Wait a moment, and restore AC power while listening at the PC board. If you hear a series of rapid clicks (about 10) from the relay near the phone line connections, then you have a problem, it means that the lockout feature was activated, and you are stuck. Short of a lucky guess at the installer code, the only option is ususlly replacing the mother board.

If there's no clicks then you will be able to default the panel programming, that's where your knowing your current zone configuration is important.

Let us know what your situation is, so we can get you to the next step. The system default procedure is in section 5.32 of the installer manual (page 37 of most versions).

Old 02-09-06, 04:31 PM
C
Ok, I unhooked the battery and the AC, then reconnected the AC.....
No rapid clicks, Just beeps from the keypad.
Chris

Old 02-09-06, 05:31 PM
A
Ok so if it isnt installer locked then you first need to follow the instructions to default the panel

Power the system down completely for at least 30 seconds.

Remove the wire from the terminal Z1

Now put a jumper wire from Z1 to PGM1

Power the panel up. And the keypad should beep 3 times. Then it will start with a trouble beep every 2 seconds.

remove jumper, and put Z1 wire back in terminal

Now before you go into programming set the time on the system.

Press
-Current time/date- 00:00 mm/dd/yy ex. Right now is 1935020906
##

Ok now to the system.I am assuming only zone 1 is set for delay.If its not let me know

07(assuming only smokes)
07(assuming only smokes)

It should beep 3 times after that

#(only once)

#(only once)

-4 digit code here- this will be your new master code

should beep 3 times

-4 digit code- This will be your installer code, dont make it the same as master
##

and that should complete your local programming. Now i am not sure if the original company use EOL resistors or not. So if you exit programming and the zones dont turn off after about 20 seconds. let one of us know.

sorry for the long post

Old 02-10-06, 04:18 PM
C
Ok, Let me see if I have this....
The programming will be...
after the installer code.
1. Delay
2. Instant
3. Instant
4. Instant
5. and 6. Instant smoke/fire detectors
7. and 8. Interior Stay/Away monitors

The monitors are DV 300 - Bravo I have two dogs, under 50 Lbs.
Will they set off the motion alarms?
The last two entries disable the monitoring?

Or will we get to that?

Old 02-10-06, 08:04 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
The interior stay/away setting means that if you arm the panel in stay mode by either specifically selecting it, or simply not opening and closing the entry/exit zone the interior motions will be bypassed automatically.

Old 02-11-06, 04:06 AM
C
I understand the away/stay concept. I think...
Do you mean that the motion detectors will not activate the alarm if the entry/exit doors are not "tripped" while in away mode?
I just want to be sure the dogs, which we keep inside, don't
set-off the alarm while we are away.
Thanks very much...Chris

Old 02-11-06, 09:15 AM
A
BV-300's can be hit or miss. The pets basicly cnat get within 3 feet of the motion, as well if there combined weight is 60 pounds or more and they both go by the detector at the same time they may trip the motion. are the motion detectors looking at stairs?

If you open the motion on the right side of the board there is a little set of numbers make sure the pointer is at 0 for pets. And make sure the bottom of the board says bv300p, if it only says bv300 then they are not pet friendly. At that point if they are not you can get pet alley lens's for the motion to ignore the floor so to speak.

And yes section 015 and 380 disable the monitoring.

Old 02-11-06, 09:08 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
From the installation manual:
Auto Bypass
When the system is armed and any zone or zone(s) on the system have been programmed as Stay/Away the panel will immediately turn on the ‘Bypass’ light. It will then monitor all zones programmed as Delay 1 and Delay 2. If no delay type zone is violated by the end of the exit delay the panel will bypass all Stay/Away type zones. The ‘Bypass’ light will remain on to inform the home owner that the interior protection has been automatically bypassed by the panel. If a delay zone is violated during the exit delay, the Stay/Away zones will be active after the exit delay expires.
This is a convenience for the user that wishes to arm the panel while at home. The user does not have to bypass the interior manually.
The user can add the Stay/Away zones back into the system at any time by entering the[*] [1] keypad command (See Section 3.4 “[*] Commands,[*][1] Zone Bypass”).
Other methods of Stay arming are available (See Section 3.5 “Function keys”).

Old 02-12-06, 07:28 AM
A
With a 5508z keypad he can also press the stay button and leave the house and it will still arm with the bypass's enabled. Makes it handy if home owner leaves and there are still people sleeping etc.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: