Do I need EOL Resistors?

Old 02-19-06, 06:24 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Do I need EOL Resistors?

I am updating my old, real old system. Every door and window has a pair of wires coming back to the panel. I did not have any of the EOL resistors in that setup. Now, it appears that each loop needs an EOL. I was planning on putting two or three of the switches in series to form a loop. Do I need to add an EOL? Where does it go?
Thanks
Mark

Old 02-19-06, 07:48 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 293 Upvotes on 268 Posts
Some systems can turn off the requirement for the supervision resistors, but most require them. Since you are doing this as a retrofit, you can simply put them right at the terminals at the panel PC board.

Old 02-19-06, 07:59 PM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Thanks again for your help and support.
I will put them in at the panel. Just what is the purpose of these resistors when installed at the end of the loop?

Old 02-20-06, 04:22 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 293 Upvotes on 268 Posts
When installed at the end of a security loop, they allow you to mix normally open and normally closed contacts on the same loop. Basically, it's a means to monitor the integrity of the circuit.

For things like smoke detectors, they have to be at the last device for the supervision to be meaningful.

Old 03-02-06, 10:06 AM
S
schutzengel
Visiting Guest
they are meant to be at the device to supervise it against tampering but are normally located inside the panel, where they do very little good.

Old 03-02-06, 10:55 AM
P
PMS
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
So, is it best to put the resistor at the contact, across the two terminals? And what if it is a wireless transmitter monitoring contacts, such as a garage door with a 5817?

Old 03-02-06, 11:15 AM
S
schutzengel
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by PMS
So, is it best to put the resistor at the contact, across the two terminals? And what if it is a wireless transmitter monitoring contacts, such as a garage door with a 5817?
if you are in a high security enviroment where tampering is an issue then yes putting the EOLR at the contact is best. but in most cases putting it at the panel is fine unless you have Normally Open contacts then you wire them in parallel and put the EOLR at the end of the line ( hence EOLR end of line resistor )

with normally closed contacts you put the eolr in series with the contact terminal --->eolr--->contact---> common.

as far as wireless those contact do not use eolr supervision.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: