How do I choose an alarm system?????

Old 05-02-06, 09:23 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How do I choose an alarm system?????

I am in the process of building a house. I am doing most all of the sub work myself but have decided to let someone else install my alarm system and monitor. I have talked with 3 companies, each with a different brand, and need some help sorting out which is best. I can get into specific installation options if needed but the jist is this: Company (1) gave an estimate on a GE NetworX NX system, Company (2) a First Alert system, and Company (3) a Caddx system.

From a little investigation it appears that Caddx and NetworX are the same or similar systems. I found some information (could have been on here, got information overload here ) that said First Alert was made by Ademco.

Question ---- Which of these systems is best?

Any knowledgable help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks, Steven

Old 05-02-06, 09:41 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 293 Upvotes on 268 Posts
You are correct: Networx and Caddx are one and the same. GE changed the name from Caddx a few years ago. Many installers still refer to them as "Caddx" systems.

First Alert hardware is slightly modified versions of Honeywell/Ademco hardware. There are a few small differences, but they are primarily deletions of seldom used features, and a different download software protocal.

I personally prefer the Networx/Caddx hardware, as it's a bit more end-user friendly.

Old 05-02-06, 10:05 PM
F
Originally Posted by MrRonFL
You are correct: Networx and Caddx are one and the same. GE changed the name from Caddx a few years ago. Many installers still refer to them as "Caddx" systems.

First Alert hardware is slightly modified versions of Honeywell/Ademco hardware. There are a few small differences, but they are primarily deletions of seldom used features, and a different download software protocal.

I personally prefer the Networx/Caddx hardware, as it's a bit more end-user friendly.
Thanks MrRon, so are you basically telling me to go with the contractor that gives me the best price(Networx or Caddx) and whom I trust? What's funny is that the Caddx contractor told me they used to use Ademco but changed because of problems. The First Alert contractor told me of the 3 brands Caddx would be there last choice. Caddx doesn't like Ademco, who makes First Alert, and First Alert wouldn't used Caddx but Networx is the same as Caddx.

Old 05-03-06, 04:29 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
A lot of installers have a reflexive dislike of "Caddx" because the original model lines (the Ranger series), were a notorious pain in the neck to setup and program. The current design is actually pretty easy to work with.

When you are dealing with the mainstream systems, look at the features, and buy the system that will give you the end-user features and interface that you prefer.

Old 05-04-06, 01:16 AM
N
I install alarm systems myself and i would prefer that You might want to go for DSC because those panels are Installer and User friendly more than any other pannel.

Old 05-04-06, 09:42 AM
F
Originally Posted by Navtej
I install alarm systems myself and i would prefer that You might want to go for DSC because those panels are Installer and User friendly more than any other pannel.
Navtej, what is a DSC system? What does DSC stand for?

Old 05-04-06, 04:40 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Digital Security Controls. They are out of Canada. They make very good hardware, however, I note that you are out of Jacksonville (FL?). One of the weaknesses that I have observed in the field here in FL with DSC products is that they have a bit of vulnerablilty to voltage transients (lightning, etc.)

(not a dismissal of the product, I like a lot of their features, but I've replaced more DSC panels during the thunderstorm seasons here, than any other brand.)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: