removing and re-installing brinks wireless motion detector help

Old 05-05-06, 10:16 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
removing and re-installing brinks wireless motion detector help

hello! i am getting ready to paint two rooms and each one has a wireless motion detector. i called brinks and they said the only way to get them to work once the wall has been painted would be for a service visit to re-install them (since the only way to get them down is to pop them open and screw them off the wall from the inside of the sensor)

this is going to cost me at least $100 even though i pay for the warranty since it only covers malfunctions. well, brinks may be right, but i know they've lied to me before when i asked if there was a way for me to adjust the sensitivity of the sensor -- they said no, it is impossible to change the sensitivity and that a service rep would need to examine it. so what happened? a service guy came over and CHANGED THE SENSITIVITY.

let me know what you think and if you need more info. THANKS!!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-06, 06:43 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 25 Votes on 24 Posts
I detect the odor of bovine fecal matter....

What will happen when you open the cover on the motion is that the cover tamper switch will generate a trouble on your system. Once the cover is put back on, the trouble will either clear automatically, or you will have to enter your user code to clear the tamper alarm. That's it. At most simply call the monitoring center and put your system on test for a few hours.

The cover on the motion will have a slot or two for a small screwdriver blade, and there may be a small set screw.

Old 05-05-06, 06:50 PM
Used to work for Brinks

Yeah he is right the tamper switch will send a trouble but all you have to do is after you unscrew the sensor from the wall simply reattach the cover to the sensor that will clear the fault and then leave it until you need to reapply it to the wall.

Old 05-06-06, 03:58 PM
okay guys, thanks for the help.

so i tested out your theory, as it turns out, once i replaced the motion detector on the wall, the red lights do not quit flashing after eight minutes and now i get the error code on the control panel that tells me the zone is not ready.

am i going to have to pay brinks after all, or is there a way to rig the system to once again accept my motion detector?

i truly appreciate the help, i figure brinks knew i was going to try something myself so they somehow rigged my system to give me the error message. okay well maybe not but i've heard some horror stories about this brinks company. gosh.

thanks!

philip

Old 05-07-06, 04:30 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 25 Votes on 24 Posts
Have you tried entering your disarm command? By tripping the tamper cover, you only tripped an alarm output. Assuming that you reassembled the motion correctly, you should only need to enter a basic user command to clear the trouble. Do your have a user manual for this system? If you are a current customer for Brinks, you should be able to logon to their website and download a pdf copy of the user manual for your system.

I don't mess with Brinks hardware much (for very good reasons), and silly junk like this is my first reason why.