Motion Sensor Light -Best Mount Location

Old 06-13-06, 06:21 AM
Motion Sensor Light -Best Mount Location

Hi,
I am having a new home built and am having the builder install three motion lights outside of the house. It is a 2 story home and is approximately 40 feet wide. I am thinking of having one put on the front left side on the second story all the way at the top and another on the right side of the house at the same height. The third would be at the same height at the top middle of the rear of the house. My question is, other than the obvious increased difficulty in changing the bulbs, is this an ideal location for the lights, or should i mount them in the middle of the house height wise. My logic is that the higher the light is mounted the wider the coverage and the less likely it can be tampered with. Any thoughts??

Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-06, 07:29 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Unless you have a reasonable expectation of attempted tampering, mounting the lights about the eaves height of a single story(10 to 12 feet) will actually provide better light coverage (light spreads using the "inverse square" law). Also, I have seen many, many 2 story mounted lights that have dead bulbs because maintaining them is a hassle.

At 10 feet or so, they are out of casual reach. If someone is really determined to take them out, a pellet gun or slingshot is more likely to be the tool of choice.

Old 06-14-06, 10:47 AM
Thanks MrRonFL,
I am also concerned with the way these lights will look mounted. I will already have a light next to the garage door and I planned on putting a motion light on both the left and right side of the front of the house. I considered mounting it at the height you suggested, 10-12 feet, however I was thinking it might look bad having the motion light only 4-6 feet above the other light. The builder says they can mount the light under the soffit at the top of the house on both sides of the front, which is approximately 18-19 feet high. At this height they would not be very noticeable, which I like the idea of; however my main concern is security. Do the think the difference in height will have a dramatic loss of light. Thanks so much for your help!

Old 06-14-06, 03:10 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If the builder is putting the boxes in for you at the soffet level, just use a higher wattage lamp, or one of the models that use the halogen flood lights. (and invest in a good extension ladder)

Old 06-14-06, 03:49 PM
thanks again MrRonFL,
The builder will put the lights wherever i ask them to, but in telling them my concerns with looks we agreed on the soffits. They can be mounted however in a different location. The builder is installing the box with the motion sensor light included. Hopefully the lights they give me can utilize (2) 150 watt bulbs. Will these bulbs be adequate for that height of around 20 feet and are there ones that use higher wattage bulbs; where can they be purchased. I just want to make sure I have it mounted in a good place, since having it moved after the house is built will be very expensive and difficult. If it was your house would you be concerned with mounting them in this location? As far as the extension ladder, I do have a 20 foot extension ladder, but im wondering if this would be big enough since the ladder would obviously have to be on a slight angle. If a bulb ever got stuck in there or if I had to change the unit itself I might need a larger one. Thanks!

Last edited by tonybox; 06-14-06 at 05:27 PM.