smoke alarm won't stop chirping

Old 06-17-06, 09:53 PM
I
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
smoke alarm won't stop chirping

Hi - I just moved into a house in Arizona that has smoke alarms everywhere - one of them won't stop chirping!! It is hard-wired with a 9volt battery. I've replaced the battery and vacuumed any dust. Even when I take the battery out - it still chirps. The house was built in 2003. Do I need an electrician to fix it? Thanks, in advance, for any advice. RT

Old 06-18-06, 05:36 AM
Please post more information.

Are your smoke detectors connected to an alarm system or interconnected AC powered smoke detectors with a battery backup.

Do you know what brand and model the smoke alarms are?
You can probably twist off the head of the smoke detector and it has all that information.

** Does the alarm chirp between LED flashing?
** Does it chirp at the same time as the LED flashes?

Being that the house is only 3 years old I would put complete replacement as the last item.

Last edited by Pete OldNavy; 06-18-06 at 07:17 AM.
Old 06-18-06, 06:53 AM
R
Sounds like you need to replace the detector. Since they are interconnected, you may need the exact same model. The manufacturer may be able to help you out.

Old 06-19-06, 08:27 AM
I
Hi again - the only model # I see is USI 1204 and the LED light is continuously green. I don't think they're connected to an alarm system, they're just wired with battery back-up.
One thing I did notice (not sure if it matters or not) is that the door that holds the battery is broken - it stays in, but is a little loose. I tried to put pressure on the battery to make the connection tighter, but it didn't make a difference. Thanks!

Old 06-19-06, 11:30 AM
Ok here is a link to the PDF(Click here for the Manual/Warranty)
(Click here for additional specifications)

I doesnt say anything about your type of problems.

BUT the way its wired you can disconnect one or more at a time and see if your problem goes away.

If its just the one you can just replace it. You can take it down and give it a good vacuuming.

Here is one place that has it of $15 bucks (Click here for that page.)

Old 06-19-06, 04:42 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Lets say you replaced the battery ok but did you read what batteries it was designed to have put in. It is written on the detector maybe molded in the plastic on the battery door. or written on a sticker.

If the smoke detector is measuring the essentially series resistance of the battery to determine the state of the battery putting in a battery of different material will have a different character ESR and make the detector think that the battery is dead. Read the detectors label for the correct and approved batteries.

Don't ask why I know this much about smoke detectors I have a really super duper gay engineering job with you guessed it.

Old 06-19-06, 07:05 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 265 Upvotes on 244 Posts
Sometimes, either the battery holder will go bad, or the circuit that detects the correct voltage from the battery will go bad. Some models also chirp when the sensing mechanism goes out of spec, which especially happens to the ionization models (it's a mildly radioactive isotope that sometimes breaks down earlier than it's supposed to).

Generally, for single station interconnect smokes like this, if you buy the same brand, there are rarely issues with the interconnect.

In short, it probably needs replacement.

Old 06-19-06, 08:48 PM
I
As for the battery type - by reading the manual that Pete sent (thanks Pete!) - it does specify the Duracel type that I tried to replace with. The battery that was in before I replaced it, not sure if it matters, but that was a generic.
It looks like I need to replace it - I'm assuming it's not that easy and should have an electrician do it.
Thanks for everyone's help!

Old 06-20-06, 04:34 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 265 Upvotes on 244 Posts
Actually, it's very easy. You trip the breaker for the circuit and wire in the new connector pigtail in place of the old one. Mount the new base and activate the new battery (check the battery that comes with the new detector. If it's not an alkaline, pitch it and put in a new alkaline ("Heavy Duty" batteries are not suited for this job).

Basically, you are looking at 3 wirenuts and two screws.

Old 06-20-06, 11:36 AM
Well it might be verrrrrry easy. You might be able to just twist the head to disconnect it from the base... It has a quick disconnect connector between the Smoke Head and the wire in the wall/ceiling.

If you buy the same model you will just have to plug in the new head and twist it back on the base.

It will take longer to get the ladder.

I'm guessing that you are a DIY person since you found this site.... Just check to see if they put in the tamper pin before twisting off the head.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: