Ademco w/ wireless motions

Old 06-19-06, 04:00 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ademco w/ wireless motions

I have an Ademco system. The users guide shows that it is a Lynxr/Lynxr24. (I can not find any model # info on the control panel).

About 1 month ago, one of the wireless motions came up with a fault. My wife called me up at work and told me. We did get a call from the monitoring station checking if everything was OK. I suspected that it was the battery, but by the time I got home the fault was gone. I assumed the batteries were OK.

Over this weekend, the same sensor faulted again. Turns out that the fault is "lost zone" or something to that effect. When the monitoring service called, I asked what the fault was because I did not see a low battery message on the panel.

I assumed that maybe it was the batteries and they finally gave out. I opened the motion and the control panel immediately started alarming. Batteries then must be good. Changed them anyway. The fault message would not clear. I assumed that sensor was not communicating with the panel (even though once I open the sensor, the panel immediately knows about it), so I took the panel as up to the panel plugged in the batteries, unbypassed the zone and everything OK. I put everything back together again and fault is gone.

Any idea what maybe causing this. The sensor is 4-5 years old. Unfortunately, I can not tell what model sensor I have. No markings on the front or inside, and from what I can tell, all the Ademco wireless motions look the same on the outside.

Thanks for you help.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-06, 04:31 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 27 Votes on 26 Posts
It was probably the batteries. Zone tampers/Lost transmitter faults do not clear automatically on Ademco hardware, you have to enter the panel disarm code, often multiple times.

If you live in a location where there's a lot of RFI interference (if things like cellphones/cordless phones are noisy or unreliable), the jam detection function could have tripped as well.

Old 06-19-06, 08:36 AM
Thanks for the reply MrRonFL. Just a few more questions.

Is there a way to tell if its the jam detection that tripped?

I did try to clear it at least a dozen times without any luck. Is there a better way to clear a fault (ie batteries out, etc..)

I actually put the same batteries back in just to help troubleshoot more. So far no issue with out any changes. This sensor has been in the same spot for the 4-5 years the system was installed.

Does is seam unlikely that it is the sensor? I know it is difficult to say how long the sensors last, but should they be expected to last 5, 10, 15, 20 years etc..

Is there a way to identify what the sensor model # is?

Old 06-19-06, 02:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 27 Votes on 26 Posts
If it's batteries, the only fix is to replace the batteries. The only other option is to delete the device from the system programming.

Even if you put in new batteries, check their voltage output. On more than one occasion, I've bought the lithium batteries form places that had a low stock turnover, only to discover that the batteries had discharged while sitting on the shelf.

Also, from you description, it sounds like you may have not replaced the cover initially when you changed the batteries. There's a tamper switch, and the device will not restore without the cover in place.

Most likely the motion is a model 5890. There is another older model but you don't see a lot of them, and the 5890 has been Ademco's standard for awhile. Somewhere on the PC board there's a sticker or screenprint with the model number on it.

If the penel is getting RF interference, the display will show a 90.
Lynxr is the model for the panel.

Old 06-19-06, 05:48 PM
Thanks again MrRonFL.

The panel did not indicate any message like 90 (only the zone # and that there was a fault). I could not clear it at all, even with the new batteries. Good thought on the cover tamper switch, but I doubt it. I know all about the tamp switch because I removed the cover once without realizing there was a switch in there. Monitoring station called right away. Now I know to bypass the zone before I open a cover.

Anyway, the fault finally cleared and it stayed clear with the new batteries and the original batteries. I do not think it is the batteries. Last time this happend, (about a month ago), the problem cleared itself.

Thank you on the model # info. I will have to check the circuit board again. The 5890 sounds familiar.

I am just going to wait and see what happens. If it happens again, I will probably by a new sensor and replace it. If it comes to that, I will be coming back to this forum to ask how I remove and add a sensor to a zone.

Thanks again. You have been very helpful.