Need to get an alarm system

Old 06-21-06, 08:39 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Need to get an alarm system

I would like to install a burglar alarm on both my house and unattached shop [about 50' away] Do I need 1 system or 2? It seems that finding and chosing a system is possibly the hardest task. The yellow pages only lists security companies and the more I look online it seems the more confused I become

First off I don't have alot of money to spend on a system. I think 3-4 motion detectors in the house and 2-3 in the shop would do an adequate job. With the exception of window and door contacts [I don't need them do I?] I don't believe I would have any problem hardwiring the system. It doesn't need to be phone connected - mainly just a load horn to scare a thief off and alert neighbors.

Any advice on where and what to purchase is greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-06, 03:30 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If you don't mind doing a bit of trenching and conduit running, you could do it with a single system.

But if you are trying to keep it simple and small, you could also go with a couple of the ITI Simon3 units with wireless devices or the Ademco Lynx systems (also wireless).
These are all in one units with built in sounders.

You actually want door and window contacts. Motion detectors are more prone to false alarms (even the best ones), especially in a un-climate controlled locatin like a detatched shop; and remember, for the motion to do you any good, the perp has to already be inside your structure. If you alarm the openings, the problem may stop before the window has been pried open enough to actually let them get inside.

Old 06-21-06, 05:38 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I never thought about the fact that a door alarm works before the motion sensor does. In my shop it could easily be put on the rear door but the front has 3 large double doors similiar to barn doors - I assume direct contact wouldn't work on them.

Personally I'm more concerned with the shop than I am with the house. I have a lot of tools that I'd have a hard time replacing..... but don't tell my wife - I'm sure she values the house furnishing and her jewelry more than my tools

I looked at 1 system online [only had 2 dr contacts and 1 motion] but said it was expandable to 8 zones. I guess that means I could use it on the house and bldg [not forgot the trench]

Never really considered an alarm system but a bldg on my property was broken into and $1500 worth of my sons stuff was stolen. I really thought I lived in a better neighborhood

Old 06-21-06, 07:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If the doors fit reasonably closely, they can be easily protected with wireless contacts (both of the systems I mentioned above will take a pretty large number of transmitters). Most decent hardwired systems are based on 8 zones and expand easily to 30 to 50 zones.

They also make door contacts especially for things like barn/garage doors, designed with a wide gap tolerance for loosely fitting openings.

Really your basic decisions boil down to:

How many openings do you really want to protect?
Do you want a single system (possibly partitioned into two virtual systems)?
Can you run hardwired contacts easily, or will the extra cost of the wireless devices make up for not damaging your structures?

Truth be told, something like a workshop is actually easier to install a system in than a residence.

Old 06-22-06, 05:08 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by MrRonFL
Truth be told, something like a workshop is actually easier to install a system in than a residence.
I understand that, no nicely painted walls to mess up
thanks for your help
mark