Alarm sensors on double-hung windows

Old 06-26-06, 05:32 PM
Alarm sensors on double-hung windows

I have read the posts about the joys of mounting sensors in replacement double-hung windows (especially when replacing single-hung). Now I've decided on how to proceed and have a couple of basic questions about the wiring of said sensors. I'm a newbie but have some technical knowledge so be gentle! Any advice is much appreciated!

--ADT Safewatch Pro 3000EN (which from the posts I gather is mostly equivalent to an Ademco Vista 20P if I'm correct, the board number is SAVS20P3 with Motorola chip WA3001-4.0)
--Ademco 6150 keypads (3 of them)
--hardwired window sensors, zoned, about 26 of them on current single-hung windows, one sensor per window
--no wireless boards or capability
--no change to zones

My questions are:
1. I am planning to place one hardwired sensor on the lower window section and one on the upper window section (still working out the exact locations). Can I simply wire both sensors in parallel to the single existing wire per window? Or does one sensor have to wired and the other sensor wired from that one, daisy-chained or serial? Anything special that has to be done?

2. Any programming or other special things that I have to do before undertaking this?

3. Any programming other special things that I have to do AFTER undertaking this?

Thanks in advance for any opinions or advice. If I had known all the problems that the double-hungs were going to present, I'd have chosen singles! However, this site has provided a wealth of useful information and made me confident I can do this.

---TexanDIY

Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-06, 05:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes Received: 21
You just wire the additional contact in series (assuming normally closed contacts) with the lower contact. Assuming that you aren't changing the actual number of openings, that's all you need to do.

Hardwired door and window contacts are just switches.

Old 06-27-06, 03:56 AM
Thanks and one last question

Thanks Mr. Ron!

If I wanted to use new sensors with leads attached (pre-wired, in order to save me a lot of installation time) is there any issue/problem with having these wired in parallel? By 'in parallel" I mean that I would place each sensor in the window frame, connect the top sensor wiring to the bottom sensor wiring (forming a harness with 4 wires connected) then connect the single house hardline to the harness.

I'm only concerned that due to some electrical law or other that I'm cutting the load in half, increasing resistance, or something like that, and the switches won't have enough juice to work (or worse, would sometimes work!)

Thanks for easing my fears...

Old 06-27-06, 11:41 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes Received: 21
No, your problem is that it won't work that way. Both sashes would have to be open for the window to show as open.

You are close though. Connect any one of the leads on the upper contact to any one of the leads on the lower contact. The remaining two leads (one from each contact) connect to the zone wiring. Thus you have 2 normally closed switches in series, and opening any one of the pair opens the loop for that opening.

Old 06-27-06, 04:11 PM
Thanks!

That is an absolute genius idea! Thank you so very much!!! This makes the install much, much easier!