Ademco Vista 10p problems settings up

Old 06-28-06, 12:11 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ademco Vista 10p problems settings up

Hi guys,

We just moved into a brand new place with Ademco Vista 10p security system installed (not hooked up to any one) and well the problem started with me not knowing the security codes, but after reading on this forum found the solution (power down, disconnect battery).

Problem #2 is programming this thing, *56 does not do anything for me while in data programming mode it just goes blank when i press *56, everything else seems to work in programming mode though. I have major zone problems, some zone's are showing as being open when they are not.

6 zones:

1. front door
2. rear door
3. motion sensor
4. motion sensor
5. window sensor
6. window sensor

How do I go about fixing this problem? I did a *97 and poof everything got worse. yikes, can anyone help with programming this thing? I have the installation guide and user manual for vista-10p but cant find programming guide anywhere.

Any help anyone can offer is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Brad

**UPDATE**
I guess this problem with *56 zone programming might be because I don't have a 2-line alpha keypad, anyone have any tips as to how to go about this still? My zones are so messed up.

Last edited by coolwazza; 06-28-06 at 12:23 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-06, 04:32 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 27 Votes on 26 Posts
If you hadn't defaulted the thing, sorting out the zone issues probably wouldn't have been so bad; but now you really need the proper keypad. We could walk you through correcting 1 or 2 zones blind, but 6 is a lot of keystrokes to keep track of without prompts from the keypad.

Truthfully, you really _need_ that alpha keypad.

More than likely, the zones were correctly programmed, and are just missing magnets on the openings. On new construction, the magnets for the contacts on windows often get dislodged by cleaning and painting. It's also not unusual for drywall installation to damage the wiring at the contacts.

The installation guide for the 10p has the programming information in it.

Old 06-28-06, 06:19 PM
hmm...

Yea I figured as much...

Im willing to do the keystrokes, can you help with an example, lets say zone 01 is the front door. All the sensors are installed properly as it didnt do think before i restored the factory defaults. I think the system just doesn't know what sensor is what (EOL, NC, NO).

So I have two motion sensors, two windows (magnet) and a patio door (magnet) besides the bring door. What would I choose for each? Kinda confusing, I can't afford another keypad right now. By the way how do I find out for sure what zone is for what sensor? Below the keypad they have written what zone is for what, is that still valid? Can I go with that ? I know when you wire them to the control panel you connect them to specific zones so my guess is that it should remain the same and all I have to do is program each one.

i am hooped right now cause th system thinks everything is open, it flashes from 02 to 06 saying its open and system not ready ofcourse.

Any help you can offer is appreciated, thanks.

Old 06-28-06, 06:54 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Alright, assuming that the original installer used the zone resistors on the loops, and the door on zone 2 is a secondary entry:

Enter programming
01* * 01 * * * * * 0 *
02* * 01 * * * * * 0 *
03* * 04 * * * * * 0 *
04* * 04 * * * * * 0 *
05* * 03 * * * * * 0 *
06* * 03 * * * * * 0 *
00*

Exit programming with *99.

Your original problem was more likely a zone or wiring issue, not programming. If they already had the panel labeled, the zone programming was probably correct.

Old 06-28-06, 08:57 PM
ahhh figured it out...

after messing around with it I figured it out, sequence for 10p was :

eg: for zone (1) entry door

0 (01) * * 01 * 00 * 0(EOL) * 0 * * 0

00 to quit after this.

Thanks again for your help, wished I read this before, but it looks like the sequence was different.

The house was wired correctly except the guy who labeled everything mixed up all the zones, it took me a while (trial & error) until I figured out which 2 were motion.

Thanks again, now on to figuring out other things about the system, looking into the remote thing. Do I have to get a RF module ? I already got a remote from this building that has 4 buttons (2 already used for the parking gates) but the other 2 are unused. I don't know if I could make this work at all, hmmm...

Cheers

Old 06-29-06, 05:23 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
To use wireless you would need a wireless reciever. This is a spot where you can kill two birds with one stone. The 6160RF keypad gets you a programing keypad and wireless reciever in one shot. Also, the remote you have has to be compatible with this system's wireless protocal (ademco 5800 series)

Your sequence was fine. All I was doing was accepting a couple of default settings in an attempt to cut the number of keystrokes involved.

You can see why programming more than one or two blind like this is such a pain in the neck. One slip of the finger, and you have no idea of where you are.

Old 06-30-06, 08:37 AM
Lightbulb phone module? :thinker:

Thanks Ron, you're a busy guy on this forum.

I'm moving away from the wireless thing, my remote is not complatible and I don't want to carry another remote.

Now the control panel had a phone module sitting in there in a bag, also I have the phone line coming into the panel and ready to be hooked up.

I could probably figure out what terminals to hook them up to from the installation guide, but here is my situation that I am wondering if it will work.

I am thinking that I want the system to call my cell (not directly). I'll have the system call the voicemail system phone number, it will get a prompt to enter the phone number to leave a msg, after that the greeting starts playing, pressing 1 will ask for a number to be forwarded to my phone as a text msg.

So I need to know where and how I can enter the following phone sequence or if it is even possible.

6041231234 = cell voicemail system #

6046666666 = cell number / voice mail box

6041231234 pause 6046666666 pause 1 pause 911 hang-up

This sequence will automatically send a text msg to my cell with the callback number of 911. Is this possible? how can I insert pause? what programming fields will I be working with?

Any help you can offer is much appreciated.

Cheers!

Old 07-02-06, 02:11 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If you look on page 4-8 of your installation manual, The pager phone number has a 20 digit field, and you have 16 additional characters in the actual pager setup fieldcharacters to work with, and the system uses a standardized reporting character set that it sends to pagers:

The format for the 7-digit system status code is defined as follows:
Pager Format: XXX-YYYY where:
XXX = 3-digit event code: 911 = Alarm 101 = Opening (disarm)
811 = Trouble 102 = Closing (arm AWAY)
YYYY = 4-digit user or zone number (depending on type of event).
The first digit is “1,” followed by the 3-digit user or zone number, or “0,” followed by a 3-digit
device address number.
Example 1. Pager displays: 9 1 1 – 1 0 0 4 : an alarm (911) caused by a fault in zone 4 (1004).
Example 2. Pager displays: 1 0 2 – 1 0 0 5 : a closing–system arming (102) by User 5 (1005).

Old 07-03-06, 08:12 PM
Pager

Originally Posted by MrRonFL
If you look on page 4-8 of your installation manual, The pager phone number has a 20 digit field, and you have 16 additional characters in the actual pager setup fieldcharacters to work with, and the system uses a standardized reporting character set that it sends to pagers:

The format for the 7-digit system status code is defined as follows:
Pager Format: XXX-YYYY where:
XXX = 3-digit event code: 911 = Alarm 101 = Opening (disarm)
811 = Trouble 102 = Closing (arm AWAY)
YYYY = 4-digit user or zone number (depending on type of event).
The first digit is “1,” followed by the 3-digit user or zone number, or “0,” followed by a 3-digit
device address number.
Example 1. Pager displays: 9 1 1 – 1 0 0 4 : an alarm (911) caused by a fault in zone 4 (1004).
Example 2. Pager displays: 1 0 2 – 1 0 0 5 : a closing–system arming (102) by User 5 (1005).

Hey Ron so you think it's doable? Is "# + 13" pause? would that count as 3 characters or 1? The pager number is the secondary phone # right? So i'll leave the primary empty and program the secondary.

I'll be trying out a few things here and there, Im not gonna bother with the phone module and connect the phone line directly to the panel, I know I wont have the all other phone disconnect feature but Im not worried about that.

Old 07-03-06, 08:36 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The pager programming for these is independent of the normal reporting phone numbers and formats. It has it's own location in the program.

The special pause characters only take up a single character slot each (think of if as using a "shift key").

Old 07-03-06, 11:44 PM
It's looking good

Well things worked out well, system seems to be up and running, there is just 1 thing I can't find any info on, "pager report option" fileld *162

I need to know what numbers will transmit what events, I have it set to 5 right now and it reports everything.

By the way I have programmed each zone's (1 to 6) report code to "00" which means disabled, is this not a good thing? It seems to be working just fine so far. I also don't know what the zone programming report codes are and what they stand for. I tried to find the programming guide for the vista 10p but couldn't find it.

Another thing that I need to undrestand is how to read the code sent to me, I wasn't able to get the system to send me a text when the system alarm went off, I assumed it was the delay programmed "*50" ?? I'll have to play with it more tomorrow and see if it really works or not.

Thanks for the help as always, this is turning into a nice self-monitoring setup. I hope that some of the info in here would be helpful to others aswell.

Old 07-04-06, 06:43 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
It won't give you a text. The format listing I cut and pasted from the installation manual is what it sends. It was designed for the basic numeric pager.

The reporting codes are primarily for the normal dialing sequence. Any digit in the first space of the two digit report code block lets it report via Contact ID to the normal dialer reciever, and activates the zone for reporting to the pager (I think; there's a bit of detail variation in the Vista panels).

There is no "programming guide". If you have the installation manual for a Vista 10p, you have all of the information, unless the original installer did something odd like removing the programming section from the book. There is a programming form, but it just duplicates the listings in the book with room for notes.

The reporting selection you made dials the pager for alarms, troubles that you have set to report (any digit in the fist field of the report code), and arms and disarms of the system. If you didn't change it, there is a 3 minute default delay for pages set in *172; you can set it to 0. *50 only affects the normal dialer process.

0 = no reports sent
1 = Open/closes all users
4 = All alarms and troubles
5 = All alarms / troubles, and open/closes for all users
12 = Alarms / troubles for zones entered in zone list 9
13 = Alarms / troubles for zones entered in zone list 9, and
open/closes for all users

Old 02-11-10, 09:04 AM
enabling additional keypad.

I have an Ademco 10p system with one 6160 keypad. The system came with a 6148. When I power up the keypad I can change its address to 17 but thats all that i seem to be able to do. I have tried the installer code plus *190 then 1 to enable it but that does not seem to work and I also don't get any armed or unarmed lights operating. My other keypad works fine and I just thought I'd stick this one back in the Mast. bedroom as an extra. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Joe

Old 02-11-10, 09:41 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
You have to use the working keypad to turn on the 17 address in programming. Then the new keypad set to that address will work. If you are just trying to swap the 6160 for the 6148, then you need to set the address to 16 on the keypad.

Old 02-11-10, 10:14 AM
Thank you

Thank you, thank you, thank you, !!!!!!!! Mr. Ron you rock!

It was just that simple and now all is well.

Again many thanks!
Joe

Old 07-07-13, 05:37 PM
Weird problem with zone set up

I also have the 10p, and the installer had originally set up the front and garage doors as zone 10, and are ignored in the stay and night stay armed modes.

My mom just moved into the house, and I (think I) changed the zone types of thes zones to 01. I only have a simple keypad, but the sequence shows for zone 1 and 2 is "01,01,01,10..." And they previously showed "01,01,10,10...". From the manual and the previous posts (and at looking at the other zones, I am pretty sure I got that part right.

However, opening these doors in stay or night stay mode does not trigger an alarm at all. No siren, no entry delay. I was tempted to check the zones in zone list 5, but since it was not working in stay mode either, I am assuming I am missing something else.

How do I get these zones to provide an entry delay in stay mode?

Any help is appreciated.

Old 07-07-13, 08:28 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
First, are you waiting long enough for the exit delay to time out? It runs in _all_ arming modes, including stay.

It would be very odd for two primary entry zones to be set to anything other that entry/exit.

Be careful trying to look at zone programming with a fixed English keypad; those numbers that display, are essentially meaningless.

Old 07-08-13, 08:00 PM
Thanks for the quick reply. That is a fantastic question. I will check that tomorrow at the house.

I am pretty certain that I am NOT waiting for the exit delay. I did not hear the audible delay, and the status showed "Armed" (if I remember correctly), so I immediately went to the doors to try them.

Once I check I will post back if the problem still occurs or if that is the solution.

I agree the numbers were just about useless. I am just guessing that I changed the zone type. But I can confirm the original sequence was "01,01,10,10..." and is now "01,01,01,10..." and zone 2 was "02,02,10,10..." and is now "02,02,01,10...".

Again, I appreciate the quick response, and will definitely let you know the results.

Side question (maybe different thread), short of buying a 2 line keypad, would the downloadable programming application help in this case (and dial in to the panel to update)?

Old 07-09-13, 03:32 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The downloader software requires a specific modem or a direct-connect module to work; and is fussy to get working. It's really designed for people who configure multiple similar systems.

Even a used beater alpha keypad will do the trick. It doesn't have to be permanent.

Old 07-10-13, 05:13 PM
Your solution to wait for the exit dealy worked. It is working properly. Thanks for the quickly reply and advice.

I will look into a 2 line keypad.

(Hopefully) Last question.... Is there a way to prevent the siren from instantly sounding if in "Stay" or "Night Stay" mode for other zone types? My alarm system allows for a 30 second delay (sounding a steady tone) before the siren sounds, giving me an extra 30 seconds to prevent a false alarm. I did not see this as an option for the Vista 10p. Or I missed it in the manuals.

Thanks again.

Old 07-10-13, 06:35 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Pretty much the definition of how stay & night/stay works is that the perimeter zones are instant with the interior bypassed. The only way to do what you are thinking of is to make all of the perimeter zones delay zones (not really the best idea).

Old 07-10-13, 07:00 PM
I agree. Thanks for the help!