Ademco 6160VADT and FA148C/Vista 15

Old 06-28-06, 04:52 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ademco 6160VADT and FA148C/Vista 15

I'm attempting to install a 6160VADT keypad with my existing FA148C and when I hook it up, the keypad beeps continuously and indicates invalid (incompatible) con. Is there something special I have to do? There are currently 2 other FA260KP keypads attached.
Thanks,

Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-06, 07:19 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 22 Votes on 21 Posts
I think this is a clone of the Vista 15p, in which case you have to first set the address on the keypad (which should be 18, since you already have two installed. The adresses start at 16). Then you have to enter programming and activate the keypad in programming field *191.

Old 06-29-06, 04:50 AM
Thanks, however, I attempted to do the things mentioned but instead of being able to enter an address, all that happens is I get one tone, then display indicates "incompatible con.", and then continuous beeps. I'm not able to enter any codes or get into the addressing mode. The box is labeled FA148C (no P) so I'm not sure if the 6160V is compatible. Do you know if it is compatible for sure?
Thanks,

Old 06-29-06, 05:36 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The FA-148c is the First Alert customized version of the Ademco Vista-15p, as best as I can tell.

The keypad should be compatible. The addressing mode on the keypad is only accessable in the first 30-40 seconds after power is applied to the keypad. Simply unplug the harness or remove the red wire from the terminal strip on the back of the keypad (depending on which version you have). Once you reconnect:

1. Apply power to the keypad.
2. Within 60 seconds of applying power to the keypad, press
and hold down the [1] key and [3] key at the same time
for 3 seconds. The current keypad address will be
displayed.
3. Press "00".
The current address is cleared.
4. Enter desired keypad address.
5. Press[*] to save the displayed address and enter the
Voice Chime mode. "VOICE CHIME" (alpha keypad) or
"C" (fixed keypad) is displayed along with the selected
mode "1" or "0".

Remember, more than 10 seconds or so without a keypress, the keypad will kick out of programming mode and you have to start over.

Old 06-29-06, 06:28 AM
Thanks,
I have tried that, the "incompat con." message is almost instantaneous and pressing any of the keys does nothing. It just beeps continuously at me until I remove the power. I could possibly understand incompatibility for the voice chime part based upon some of the reading but I still can't get to the addressing part to turn it off.

Thanks again,

Old 06-29-06, 07:31 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
You did say you have the ADT version of the keypad. There may be some tweak in that model that doesn't let it play with the FA modification.

The ADT and FA versions of the more recent ademco hardware don't have a lot of modifications from the base models, but this may be one of them. You may _have_ to use either a straight Ademco or FA keypad for this system.

Old 06-29-06, 10:21 AM
So, what would you recommend that would allow me to be able to program the system and have the alpha text display? I want to be able to set things like the phone number to dial in the event of alarm condition if I want to change it at some future date and the text display is easier on these old eyes instead of the little slide out card.

Thanks,

Old 06-29-06, 08:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
To be safe, you are going to want the First Alert version of the 2-line alpha keypad FA560KP.

I'm still surprised that the one you had didn't work, as the more recent versions of these systems have had few "badge" incompatiblities. FA has tended to be more propriatory than some of the others that use rebranded ademco hardware.

Old 07-03-06, 05:24 AM
Thanks,
I looked at addressing on the FA260KP's that are installed and both are set to 31 so I suspect that if the 6160 requires specific address, then that's probably the issue. Went ahead an ordered FA560KP so I'll be putting the 6160 up for sale on eBay I guess.

Thanks for your help,
Mark

Old 07-03-06, 05:45 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
It's not the keypad that requires the address, it's the alarm control that requires the keypad to be addressed. If your other keypads are set to 31 (non-addressable mode for ademco designed hardware) then it looks like FA's departure from the base design involved messing with the keypad buss to make it more exclusive to their version. When you get your 560 keypad, it should work right out of the box.