Security system - Phone dead

Old 06-29-06, 10:23 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Security system - Phone dead

Any time the alarm in my house goes off then the phone line is completely dead. I have to disconnect the phone line from the security system and then Phone is start working.

The make of the alarm is First Alert.

Anyone know what is the issue or solution to fix this problem?

Appreciate you help on this issue.

thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-06, 11:08 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 28 Votes on 27 Posts
"It's not a bug, it's a feature..."

It's supposed to do that. When the alarm is wired into the phone lines correctly it can sieze the line on dial out. This keeps some clever critter from keeping the alarm from dialing by simply taking a phone off the hook. Normally, this siezure is less than a minute at the most (more like about 30 sec)

If you are not currently being monitored, what may be happening is that the panel is seizing the line and trying to connect, and keeps trying, over and over. If so, what you would need to do is get into the programming and turn off the dialer.

Old 06-30-06, 07:50 AM
Thank you so much for the prompt reply.

I am currently being monitored. When we accidentally open the door then alarm went off. We did not call get any call from the alarm company for almost 10 min. Then checked the telephone line and did not get any dial tone. I called them by cellphone and asked them and they said they did not get any signal from my house. The operator said there may be something wrong with system thats why the phone line is freezing and he wants $80 for the first half hour to take a look.
Based on what you are saying I suspect they are not telling the truth.

I don't know why the system freezing the phone for such a long time.
Is it common or there may be something that I can fix easily.

thanks

Old 06-30-06, 03:37 PM
nap
If you can program the phone number the dialer dials, change it to your cell and then trip the alarm to see if it calls you.

Old 07-02-06, 02:24 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 28 Votes on 27 Posts
Yes, it sounds like your panel is trying to dial out and failing to connect. The trick is to find out what's really happening. If you can borrow a butsett or know enough about phone lines to wire in a temporary jack on the alarm side of the line, you can listen in and hear what the panel is getting stuck on.

For example, in recent years most phone companies have switched to a voice recording for busy signals instead of the old "beep-beep-beep". Alarm panels do not recognize this voice, and will often hold the line open waiting for a connection tone until the phone company automatically disconnects your dial tone because of being off hook with no connection incoming.

The is a case where the right tool is essential. It's not hard to sort out, but you have to be able to listen to the panel's attempt to dial.