Design Advice Question

Old 06-30-06, 10:44 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Design Advice Question

I am a newbie here and have done a little reading here and elsewhere about security systems, and realize a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

I am about to take possession of a newly constructed home and will have a security company install a system before we paint, as I have too many other things on the go to do it myself.

My primary requirement is to "keep people out", not to "be notified after they get in". (I will be having the system monitored by the security compnay.)

In discussions with the sales person we are in agreement on glass break detectors below or across from all windows, and door contacts on all doors. We are using an inside siren as well as an outside siren and strobe light.

He also says we need motion detectors down the three main traffic paths and in the basement. I wonder if that isn't overkill. What is the concensus here?

Thanks for your advice.

Greg

Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-06, 02:17 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 25 Votes on 24 Posts
A couple of motions are't a bad idea, but if you have pets ("Pet immune is somewhat "subjective"), it can be not really worth your while, because you will find yourself arming the system in "stay" mode more often than not.

If you are trying to protect the property primarily while you are absent, then the motions are a better idea. If your primary use will be during home/sleep hours, I would have a couple of points prewired for motions, but not install them (prewiring is fairly cheap per drop, devices aren't).