Smoke Detector Recommendations

Old 09-27-06, 04:24 AM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Smoke Detector Recommendations

Hey, can anyone recommend a hard wired smoke detector system for a two story 9 room house with an attached garage?
Attic no basement.
I know next to nothing about what I should have, need, don't need, etc...etc..

Thanks

Old 09-27-06, 06:39 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello: Eddy

Since you are asking for recommendations, which opens the door to opinions, be glad to provide you with mine.

Brand is not and/or should not be, the only consideration. What is more important is types of detectors. There should be both electrical and battery types. Or detectors of the dual powered types.

In the rare event of an early electrical power failure, having dual powered and/or both electrical and battery power types is of primary concern.

Additionally, proper locations and installations. Closely adhere to the mfg's suggested installation and location recommendations.

Another source for location placements, installation, types and number of detectors to install, is the local fire department.(s)

Based upon the floor plan description provided, attic, garage, upstairs hallway, family or living room area next to kitchen areas are primary locations. Check with local fire authorities.

Regards
Sharp Advice.
Web Site Host, Forums Manager, Hiring and Promotions Agent & Multiple Topics Moderator.

Old 09-27-06, 04:31 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 116 Votes on 107 Posts
In most locals these days, dual powered smokes are not only a good idea, but are required by building codes.

Most of the major brands are pretty similar, so brand really doesn't make that much difference.

There's two major technologies: Ionization and Photoelectric. The ion units are made to catch a faster flaming fire and the photos are better at smoldering fires. Typically, the photo technology is going to be longer lasting (you should replace consumer grade ion detectors at least every 5-10 years) and have fewer false alarms, but tends to be more expensive.

In addition to the AC/DC hardwired smokes, there are also "system" smokes that are intended to be connected to security alarm panels. These tend to be a better quality of detector, overall, but do cost more. They gain the benefit of having the alarms backup battery, and so don't need additional battery backup.

Old 09-29-06, 04:20 AM
E
Hi,

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm not looking for the best system per say. I'm basicly looking to get the house to were is should be so that when I sell it there won't be any problems.

Right now we have battery only smokes in all rooms and hallways. It was inspected by the fire department when we bought the house but with some of the additional work thats been done I understand the building inspector expects hard wire protection now.

If I understand it correctly I can run circuts two the first and second floor off of a 20 amp breaker. Use that circut for the lighting and smoke detectors only.

Can I come off of the circut at the line side of the switch to each light?

Old 09-29-06, 05:40 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 116 Votes on 107 Posts
Yes, you can power hardwired AC/DC smokes off of any unswitched AC power source (110v), so tapping off the line side works just fine.

Old 09-29-06, 01:44 PM
in fact you must wire the smokes off a lighting/ power branch circuit, the reason is so that if a breaker is off you will notice it and restore it but if you give the smokes a dedicated cir. then you may not notice and be unprotected

Old 09-29-06, 10:15 PM
E
Does the code go State wide or town by town in Massachusetts?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: