Need help with a Caddx Nx8-E

Old 11-07-06, 07:22 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need help with a Caddx Nx8-E

I bought a used Caddx NX8-E off ebay. it came with a nx-148E keypad, the control board and box and a 16 zone wireless receiver board.

I was playing with it and hooked up the key pad and a power transformer but it beep beep beep continuosly and the keypad says TYPE CODE TO DISARM. Is there a master reset code for this to reset everything so I can use this or am I hosed without having been provided with a code from the seller?

Old 11-08-06, 04:26 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 241 Votes on 220 Posts
If it has been defaulted, the default master code is 1234, and the default installer code is 9713. If those have been changed, you are stuck. There is no hardware reset on one of these panels.

Old 11-08-06, 06:30 PM
A
i asked the seller what the codes were and he replied the default code was 9713 and the master code was 2071.

According to the installation manual, I should be able to press *8 and then the default program code (*8 9713) to get into program mode but it doesnt work.

When I press *, the LCD changes to SELECT AN OPTION and a list of option appear but 8 isnt one of them. I get the option 0=SET TONE, 1=MASTER MODE, 2= SERVICE CHECK, 3= ALARM MEMORY, and a bunch more but 8 isnt listed. when I press *8, the LCD display just reads ALARM and ZONE 7 but if I enter 2071 or 9713, nothing happens.

Right now, i have 3.3k ohm resistors between each of the hardwired zones and the commons. I have a 680 ohm resistor between the smoke+ and common. there is also a 3.3k ohm resistor across the bell+ and Bell-.

There is a 16 zone wireless receiver card connected to the same port as the NX148E kaypad on the control board. What am I doing wrong?

Old 11-08-06, 07:09 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Its still in alarm. It won't let you go to program until you disarm it. First enter the master code (2071) to disarm the alarm. Then you will be able to access programming.

When you use the go to program sequence, ignore the prompts on the LCD. Just enter *8 9713. If he has given you the correct installer code, it will next prompt for the device/module (which will be 0# for the main control).

Take the resistor off of the smoke power. You are putting close to a dead short across a 12v power output. Those 680 ohm resistors are for use on zone 8 only if you use 2-wire smoke detectors.

Old 11-08-06, 08:06 PM
A
somethings not working right. I plug it in. it starts beeping. I press 2071 and it doesnt care. It just keeps on beeping.

Old 11-08-06, 08:11 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
In that case, I don't think your seller gave you the correct master code.

Old 11-09-06, 06:45 AM
A
Am I correct by putting the 3.3k ohm resistors across the zone inputs to common?

When I am try to disarm this, should I have the receiver connected or disconnected? (if its connected, I cant see how you make it think the correct wireless sensors are in place).

What size resistor should be across the Bell+ and Bell-?

The seller keeps saying he tested the unit using the codes I listed above but for the life of me, I can't get the stupid box to stop beeping (disarm) or even acknoledge the codes

Old 11-09-06, 09:59 AM
G
1234 is the default arm/disarm code

Old 11-09-06, 10:12 AM
A
ya, it tired that and it doesnt work either.

When entering the master code do you just press the numbers and thats it? or do you press the numbers and then another button (like cancel or something)?

also, what resistor should I put across the bell? I was told that it will report a fault if there is no resisyor there

Old 11-09-06, 03:33 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
The 3.3k resistors will work for the bell and the zone inputs. The keystrokes for arm/disarm is 4-digits in/4-digits out. There are no command keys (one of the reasons I prefer these panels, personally).

Basically, I think this guy gave you the wrong master code. The fact that it powered up in alarm is a bad sign. Someone with a nx-586 direct connect device and the software can bypass this and extract the code, but that's the only thing I can think of.

Old 11-09-06, 06:51 PM
A
i emailed the seller and he seems like he wants to help or give me some money back if he cant get it to default. He suggested I either send him the entire system and he'd refund my money back (after I send the whle thing back) or I could send him the board and if he cant reset it to default programming, he'd give me a chunk of change back.

I said I'd send him the control board and the keypad and I asked him to program it with the keyboard that came with it to see if he can do it (I imagine the keypad could be the problem for all I know).

So I'll see what happens.

BTW I used solid core phone wire to hook the keypad and reciever and transformer up. That shouldnt matter right?

Old 11-10-06, 11:01 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
22ga is the minimum the maker calls for. Even if you used 26ga (cat 5e, typical), for your mockup it shouldn't matter. Nope, this is a programming issue. He should have sent the thing to you reset to full factory defaults,(much less in full blown alarm) it's not a difficult procedure.

Old 11-24-06, 04:39 PM
A
Well the seller ended up giving me a brand new board. He said he got past the point where I was stuck by using a 'special tool' but then he later discovered the dialer didint work. so I got a ne bard from GE. Now I have some questions on that and I'll put that in a different post.

Thanks. I think you were right and he couldnt get into it either....

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: