Problems w/ wireless with Caddx Nx-8E

Old 11-24-06, 04:54 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Problems w/ wireless with Caddx Nx-8E

I bought the NX-8E and want to use it with no hardwired zones. I have 3.3k ohm resistors across the hardwire zones 1 through 8 (tied to common) on the control board (do they need to be there? Do I need to disable them? If so, how?).

I have a speaker (10 ohms) hooked up to the bell+ and bell- with a 3.3k resistor across it (it works cause I press *44 to test it it was LOUD). Theres no phone hooked up yet. theres no backup battery installed yet.

I have the NX-416 16 channel wireless receiver connected to the same terminals as my NX-148 key pad. theres no backup battery installed yet.

I have 4 wireless door sensors (the cylinder ones that go into the door jam), 2 motion sensors and 2 smoke alarms all sitting here on my workbench (ie, not installed yet).

I tried following the procedure in the wireless receiver manual to check everything out but I have some issues (doesnt seem to work). here's what ive done and the results I get. One of the things I notice is that my keypad lights DO NOT correspond to the way the manual says they should- like when it says ARMED LED should turn on, mine doesnt- more below)

the wireless board is installed. The switches on it are set to 1 & 3 on, 2 & 4 off so I should be set for Module #32 with zones 1 through 16 enabled for learning (this is for my sensors right?). The middle red light on the wireless board is blinking and the green light on it flashes if I move a sesor near its magnet)

So I go to enroll the module. i press *8. KP says 'Enter code', i eneter 9713. no lights flash but KP says 'Enter device address then #" so i enter 0# and then 915#. it beeps 3 times and KP shows a (915) in the rt hand corner. I then press EXIT EXIT. and KP says "System Ready" and 'Type code to arm'

So I go to program the module. I assume the 'Module' is the wireless board right? I press *8 9713 32 # and it asks for a Location on the KP. No lights on the KP flashed like was stated in the manual (is this flashing only for NON LCD keypads?). I press 910 # to get the system to default and it beeps 3 times and theres a (910) in corner of KP display.

I enter 49# to enter the sensor learning location (says so in the manual) and the KP says 'Enter Location the #" and (49) in the corner. No KP lights flash or change states).

I enter 01* to program zone 1 and it beeps 3 times. according to the manual, beeping 3 times means an entry error which happens if I enter a transmitter number that is not within the modules zone block or if you try learning a sensor that is already learned. So why did it beep? is it an error or is it already learned? how do you find the sensor to see if its learned?

What am I doing wrong and how do I do it right?

Old 11-24-06, 06:44 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 241 Votes on 220 Posts
You don't really need the resistor across the bell terminals with the speaker, but it doesn't hurt anything for it to be there.

If you are absolutely sure that you will not use the hardwired zones, they are disabled by going to location 37 and turning on option 3 in segment #5.

I'm not sure why you are trying to enter programming location 915 in main panel programming. As far as I can recall this doesn't do anything.

Yes, the indicators on the LCD keypad will be slightly different than the LED keypads that the instructions were written around.

For programming the wireless:

Go to program *8 [installer code]
enter 32# to go to the wireless module programming
Just to clear the board, enter 910# to default the settings on the wireless module.
(at this point you are still in the wireless module)
To learn in a sensor (we'll use zone 1 as an example):
enter 0#
enter the zone number plus *: 1*
within 250 seconds trip the device as per the specific instructions for the type of device. You should get a "ding dong" from the keypad.

Lather, rinse and repeat for all of the other devices.

I'm not sure where the set of instructions you are using come from, but they do not sound like the right ones for Networx wireless.

Old 11-25-06, 09:45 AM
A
WOO HOO! I did one sensor and IT WORKED.

I guess my instructions were wrong. I got them from document # 466-1486 Rev. E

Old 11-25-06, 10:29 AM
A
Here is where I got my BAD instructions from.
Look at pages 11 and 12 on this: http://www.azsecurity.net/pdf/ALARMAS%20CONTRA%20ROBO/PANELES/PANELES%20CADDX/MODULO%20RECEPTOR/nx-408e/NX408%20Rev%20E.pdf

I guess that is not the correct document or its an outdated manual (its dated 1998). Where can I get the correct current manual?

I ended up learning all 4 recessed door sensors, 2 PIR motion sensors and both of my smoke detectors (reading the manuals helped!).

Thank you so much for your help!! and if anyone can post a link to a newer version of the wireless receiver manual, I'd appreciate it.

Last edited by aarcuda; 11-25-06 at 01:39 PM.
Old 11-25-06, 03:53 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
This is (I think) the instruction for an older version of the wireless receiver that's been long supplanted by a newer model (the NX-4xxxE models). I've run into one of these in an older Caddx installation (the 1998 date was the giveaway).

What you need is: Document Number: 466-1427 Rev. F
July 2001 or later.

Old 11-26-06, 03:59 PM
G
FYI...
There is a new NetworX (Caddx) receiver now available. Part # is NX 548E. It replaces the NX 408,416, and 448E recievers. The 548E is a 48zone receiver that is the same price as the old 408E 8 zone receiver.

Old 11-26-06, 08:12 PM
A
thanks for the info. I hadnt heard of it.

as for the newer manual for the NX-416, I cant find it anywhere. any hints on somewhere to find it?

Old 11-27-06, 05:36 PM
G
You can go to gesecurity.com and get the manual if you want to go that route...it is a tedious process...

<info deleted by moderator. Please reference forum rules re: email addresses in open posts...>

Last edited by MrRonFL; 11-27-06 at 07:04 PM.
Old 11-28-06, 08:32 PM
A
i got the manuals I need by email. Thanks. You guys really helped out a lot. I was stuck there for a moment but its all coming together.

It all works except that I do have a flacky wireless recessed door sensor in 1 door.

When the magnet is out of the door and placed near the sensor it works fine but when you slip it into the top of the door (its a metal clad door), the zone sometimes reads open when the door is shut. Is there a strength test that can be performed on the sendor?? a dealer test was referenced in the sensor instructions but I dont remember seeing the test described in any of the manuals.

Last edited by aarcuda; 11-28-06 at 08:48 PM.
Old 11-29-06, 04:32 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
It sounds like the magnet may be slightly off center to the contact. These things only tolerate a small amount of lateral misalignment, especially in a metal door. If you take careful measurements, you will likely find that the magnet is off center by at least half it's diameter, which is enough to create the effect you are seeing. You may simply need to adjust the latch on the door, if there's any play in the door when it's closed.

Old 11-29-06, 09:31 AM
A
i played with the orientation of the sensor in the housing and get the same thing. When the magnet is out of the door, i get good open/closed ation from the sensor (and the separation distance is pretty goor too). But once the snsor is in the door, with the magent almost touching the bottom of the sensor, it is haphazard whether or not it reads as closed. I saw this wit hthe other door sensors as well.

It has to be the metal clad door is somehow messing up the magnetic field. I was thinking of taking the door magnet out of the door and installing it upside down (the magnet is MUCH stronger on the end that goes down into the door). Anybody know any reason not to try this?

Old 11-29-06, 11:07 AM
G
Location 200 in the receiver module will tell you the number of rounds received from the last transmitter learned in...anything above 4 here is good. Problem is that it only remembers the LAST transmitter you learn in. A trick (takes 2 people unfortunately) on doing a wireless sensor test is to have one guy looking at the receiver module's yellow LED. The other guy is at the actual sensor tripping it. When you are ready to trip the sensor, get on the phone/radio with the other guy and count how many times the yellow LED blinks. Once again, anything above 4 is good. Most sensors send out 8 rounds when they are tripped. Some (like the recessed you are using) send out 8 rounds initially, but if you trip (open the door) them more than once in a 4 1/2 minute time frame, they only send out 4 rounds. This is done to save on the battery life...If you get a reading above 8, this mean that you have opened (one trip) and then closed (second trip) the door/window quickly and the receiver has seen them both.

Metal doors are tough...You can try turning the magnet upside down..Haven't tried it myself but may be worth a shot.

Old 11-29-06, 04:25 PM
Nx-8

Since you are using the recessed door contacts make sure that once you place the contact in the door, the cover of the contact is closed. I think it turns clock wise. That closed the tamper switch on the contact.

Old 11-29-06, 04:32 PM
A
im sure the tamper switch in the door sensor I am using (a 60-409-10-319.5) is pressed. the tamper switch is a switch with a spring on it that gets compressed when you slide the circuit board assembly into the tube. the spring rests on the side of the tube (parallel to the ground with the sensor installed into the top door jam).

I just removed the magnet and turned it over (after trimming the rim off the top of the magnet) and it worked!! Im guessing the metal clad door probably alters the magnetic field of the magnet making it less robust at the sensor. By turning it upside down, I am putting the raw magnet near the sensor so theres a stronger field. It seems to work!

Old 11-29-06, 05:08 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Metal doors do alter the magnetic field. There is a plastic spacer that isolates the magnet from the metal of the door that seems to help; but even those have limits. Some doors have more magnetic alloys than others.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: