Caddx 8e detailed documentation

Old 12-10-06, 11:03 AM
Y
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Caddx 8e detailed documentation

I'm looking for detailed documentation on the Caddx 8E and/or nx-148e LCD panel. I know I've seen a detailed board schematic of the NX-8E panel before, but I can't find it on the web anymore. I've created a "security professional" login @ the GE website and downloaded what they have for documentation there, but nothing there is what I'm looking for. Perhaps people here could help.

I've got a lot of high value items in my garage and I want my security system to monitor the garage doors. I can easily wire up the 2 garage doors to the alarm. A problem with this is that once the garage door is opened, it triggers the alarm. This means I've got to rush inside the house and enter my keycode to disarm the alarm. Not a really elegant solution.

So I've got a DIY electronics solution for this problem. What I need to know is does the Caddx have a status pin on the panel/keypad that indicates if the panel is armed or not? I also need a way to arm/disarm the panel via my DIY electronics. Perhaps a input pin on the panel or keypad can arm/disarm the panel.

Do such pins exist on the panel/keypads? If they do, where can I find documentation that shows how to use these pins?

Thanks.

Old 12-10-06, 02:48 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 241 Votes on 220 Posts
Recently GE restructured it's websites, and the resulting mess is an un-navigatible mess of broken links and mis-written java script.

Your best bet is to go to www.gesecurity.com and enter "NX" in the search box. Those seem to be the only product search links that will actually get you to product manuals.

The NX panels do not have a hardwire keyswitch input. To do that, you would have to program a zone as a "keyswitch". The other option is to put a separate delay on the doors you are trying to protect.

Depending on how many zones you have left, you might need to add a hardwire zone expander to do what you want.

To produce an remote armed indicator, you would have to use one of the panels AUX output terminals.

Basically, all of this requires you having the installer manual for the system so that you can program in the correct settings to make these things do waht you want.

Old 12-10-06, 05:09 PM
Y
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MrRonFL View Post
The NX panels do not have a hardwire keyswitch input. To do that, you would have to program a zone as a "keyswitch". The other option is to put a separate delay on the doors you are trying to protect.

To produce an remote armed indicator, you would have to use one of the panels AUX output terminals.

Basically, all of this requires you having the installer manual for the system so that you can program in the correct settings to make these things do waht you want.
Excellent! This is exactly what I was looking for. After downloading the NX-8E install manual, I saw the section about making a zone a "keyswitch" zone. I also saw the section where you can make the AUX pins of the panel reflect an armed or disarmed state.

Thanks a lot!

BTW - a little more detail on my DIY electronics for garage door monitoring:

I plan on replacing my garage door opener remotes with a DIY system using ZigBee wireless and a micro controller. The new remote will have 4 buttons, one pair for opening/closing the 2 garage doors. Buttons 3 and 4 will arm and disarm the alarm. If the user pushes the arm button and either garage door is open, the receiver in the garage will close the open door(s), wait for the doors to register closed, and then arm the panel. When the open button is pressed and the panel is armed, the receiver disarms the panel and opens the requested door. This button configuration still allows for the garage door to be closed without the panel being armed. I may even add a 5th arm button that has a "stay arm" function.

I saw an app note somewhere that using off the shelf parts (wireless receiver) I could use a keyfob to arm/disarm the system and open/close garage doors. The problem with this is I would have to double up on the receivers because I have 2 garage doors. It would also cost a lot. I can buy the required DIY electronic parts for slightly less and I have fun making my own solution.

My only hurdle left in this setup is figuring out how to run 20 feet of cat5e cable from the alarm panel to the garage door buttons on the wall in the garage.

Old 12-10-06, 06:36 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 241 Votes on 220 Posts
Yes, doing 1 garage door with the stock NX components is pretty easy. Dual doors are a lot more complicated. Your solution isn't the only one, but it's about as simple as you are going to get.

You can re-map the buttons on the NX remote to do what you want to do using the various aux outputs on the panel, but the programming is probably going to be about as complicated as what you are planning to do.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: