DSC PC2500 - Nonstop siren

Old 12-26-06, 07:44 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
DSC PC2500 - Nonstop siren

Hi, I searched all over this forum for something similar to my problem, but wasn't able to find anything. I have a DSC PC2500 system that worked for the past 15 years without problems. Just this past summer, the system stopped working; the back-up battery was drained too. We just replaced the back-up battery and now the system turns on, but when I go to connect the Bell+ and Bell-, the siren sounds and won't turn off. The only way I know of how to turn off the siren is to disconnect the Bell+ and Bell- wires. But doing that gives me a "Bell Circuit Failure."

Can I just reset the system, or does this constant siren indicate that there is a short in the wiring elsewhere?

Old 12-27-06, 04:37 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 241 Votes on 220 Posts
It _sounds_ like the system was powered down while in alarm. If you put a resistor on the bell output in place of the siren(the standard 5.6k will work; an automotive 12v light will work as well) you can power the thing up and try entering the code.

Old 12-27-06, 11:58 AM
G
Hi Ron,

Thanks for the reply.

I hooked up a 12V air compressor to the Bell outputs and was able to turn off the siren (entered 1234 to reset the system). But, that sort of lead me into another problem.

I've encountered two problems now, one with the memory light, and another with the arming the system. I have the DSC PC2550RK keypad (the one with LED lights), and I can't seem to get the system to display just the ready light. It'll either be a combination of Ready/Memory/Trouble, or just Ready/Trouble. However, in Ready/Trouble mode, the instant I trip the motion sensor (zone 8), the memory light lits up. All other zones don't cause this.

The second problem now is with arming the system. With the 12V air compressor hooked up, I can't get the siren to go off, even after arming the system and tripping a zone.

And for some reason, I need to press 1234 twice to arm the system, but only once to disarm it.

Thanks. Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Old 12-27-06, 04:04 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
The memory light comes on if there has been an alarm since the thing was last armed. On DSC systems the memory only clears once you arm and disarm the system.

The 12v compressor may be a bit much of a current draw for the siren circuit, it wouldn't surprise me if you didn't blow the fuse for the siren (which would generate a trouble). The siren output is only rated for 700ma (roughly 8.4 watts).

If you are using 1234 for a code, it sounds like this thing has been defaulted. If not, a lot of older panels have been known to have programming get scrambled up if allowed to run on a failing battery.

If I had to guess, I'd say that zone 8 has been programmed as either a fire zone, or one of the 24 hour zones.

Old 12-27-06, 05:15 PM
G
The fuse for the bell circuit was burnt out, replacing the fuse did the trick. Thanks.

I've armed and disarmed the system a few times already, but the memory light still comes on when I trip the motion sensor, regardless if the system is armed or disarmed.

Could the zone 8 (sensor) have reverted back to the fire zone or 24-hour zone after the system defaulted? Why does this happen? If so, why does it cause the memory light to lit up every time the motion sensor is tripped?

Old 12-27-06, 08:16 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Because it's going into alam for that zone. Since it's a motion, it's pretty easy to trip.

As I said, when one of these alarms is allowed to run down on a failing battery the programming in the eeprom can get scrambled. Older systems are more prone to this. Newer designs simply shut down the system when the battery voltage drops to a certain point. Your best bet is to simply program all of the zones to their correct settings. There are probably other things in the programming that have been mucked up, as well.

Old 12-29-06, 10:09 PM
G
Hello - thanks for the response Ron. I reprogrammed all the zones and everything works perfectly now! It works just as it did before.

But now I want to add a little something to the system to notify me if the alarm goes off. I would like it to call my cell phone. I've read some previous posts on this forum regarding how DSC cannot successfully call a cell phone due to the lack of a handshake and a kissoff. Still, I think it would be good if the system called me, even if it calls me 8 times.

I've connected the wires from my phone jack to the system board, and I THINK I have it all connected right. But after I trip the system, my phone doesn't ring. Here's how I connected the wires:

Ring = Red
Tip = Green
R1 = Yellow
T1 = Black

I programmed in my cell phone number in the [01] programming option, enabled communications in the [13] programming option, and changed the dial type to Touch Tone Dialing. I didn't make any changes to [21] programming option because I didn't know what all the options meant (Silent Knight, Radionics, Sescoa ???).

Am I missing something? To me, I think I hooked it all up right. Do I need to put a pause before the phone number to listen for a dial tone first?

Thanks once again in advance. Everyone is so helpful!

Old 12-30-06, 01:55 AM
S
One thing I don't understand is why someone would go to all the trouble of putting in an alarm and having it call a cell phone or a pager??? I have two kids and a wife. I wouldn't want to rely on a cell phone notification at 3am while I'm in bed. Not to mention if the smoke detectors go off and we are all passed out no one would know. Also, carbon monoxide will put you out quick. I for one feel better knowing that if the alarm goes off someone outside of my home will be notified and take the appropriate action. It has happened before to us and the cops arrived within minutes while they were still climbing into the window.

You can get monitoring fairly cheap now-a-days. Look around and please consider a UL approved monitoring center.

Dave

Old 12-30-06, 08:24 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
The format doesn't matter, because it's simply going to keep calling, regardless.

Wired properly, the phone wiring should have the incoming on Ring and Tip, and the return to supply the house phones on R1 and T1.

Old 12-30-06, 10:56 AM
G
Originally Posted by sdsheeks View Post
One thing I don't understand is why someone would go to all the trouble of putting in an alarm and having it call a cell phone or a pager??? I have two kids and a wife. I wouldn't want to rely on a cell phone notification at 3am while I'm in bed. Not to mention if the smoke detectors go off and we are all passed out no one would know. Also, carbon monoxide will put you out quick. I for one feel better knowing that if the alarm goes off someone outside of my home will be notified and take the appropriate action. It has happened before to us and the cops arrived within minutes while they were still climbing into the window.

You can get monitoring fairly cheap now-a-days. Look around and please consider a UL approved monitoring center.

Dave

What monitoring company do you have? Any you can recommend?

Old 12-30-06, 11:40 AM
S
Originally Posted by Gezx View Post
What monitoring company do you have? Any you can recommend?
Do you have a regular phone line or just broadband voip?

Dave

Old 12-30-06, 02:35 PM
G
I have a regular phone line, nothing fancy.

Thanks.

Old 12-30-06, 05:39 PM
S
Originally Posted by Gezx View Post
I have a regular phone line, nothing fancy.

Thanks.
You can use nextalarm (http://nextalarm.com) I believe they have a plan starting at 14.95$/month. I've used them for 8 months now and they are quick to call on alarm. One day my son tripped the alarm while I was outside. I ran across the yard into the house to a ringing phone. They almost wouldn't believe me when I told them everything was okay. I was out of breath and they asked me "are you sure everything is okay, you sound out of breath. Would you like us to send the police." I explained to them what happened and they ended the call. About 5 minutes later they called back again asking if I was sure everything was okay. That is GREAT service IMO!

I didn't mean to sound rude in my first post in this thread, but I just want to make sure you are safe if the alarm is going off. I see people wanting to have the system call their cell phone. This isn't good enough IMO. Another great feature of nextalarm IS the ability to send notifications to your cell phone while being monitored. You can have the best of both worlds here and also have some peace of mind knowing that if something happens someone on the outside will know about it.
Dave

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: