How to setup chime-only zones on Lynx?

Old 01-09-07, 06:07 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to setup chime-only zones on Lynx?

I've got a LynxR-EN and am _extremely_ familiar with programming it, but need some input here.

In short, my goal here is to install a few motion detector zones which only chime, (if the system is set on chime), regardless of whether it is armed or not. These motion detectors will be somewhat exposed to the elements, such as driveway, detached garage, and so on. Obviously I do not want the cops showing up if a raccoon finds its way into my garage, condensation causes a false alarm, or when someone pulls into the driveway at 4am when the system is armed. *But I DO want to be notified by the chime voice announcement.*

A year ago when the install tech put the thing in he looked puzzled at first when I asked the same question, but eventually seemed to have an ah-hah moment and quickly explained something about setting it up as a "door" and modifying some setting. At the time I was just overwhelmed because I had never dealt with a security system before. I just assumed that I'd be able to dig up the information later based on what he said, but now that I have gotten familiar with everything and looked around, I cannot find what he was getting at. Of course this was the same guy who used just 4 conductor wire for the AC transformer so my X10 stuff wouldn't work until I reran some wire, so who knows.

Here's what I've done/tried: (Note these tests were done using an actual door sensor but that shouldn't matter)

- Baseline starting point of course was zone type as 01 (entry door) and report code the installer's default of "bb". Chime worked fine but obviously when armed I get an audible alarm and the cops would get called. Not good.

- Changed zone type to 23, No Alarm Response... seemed like the answer! But alas no chime in this case.

- Changed chime by zone setting (*26) to yes, and set up zone group 03 to include the door in question. Left zone type at 23. Still no chime unfortunately. Yes, I did verify that whole chime-by-zone setup by switching this zone type to something else and making sure it chimed. The thing simply does not chime when set to type 23, period. I'm sure I could buy a separate X10 chime, since that's what type 23 is supposedly for, but then I'd get no audible zone identification. You only get 2 zone groups for that kind of thing anyway -- I can't be searching my whole property every time a lamp turns on, trying to find out where the potential intruder is.

- Changed zone type to 05, "Trouble by day, alarm by night". Then went a step further and for that zone changed the response code ("C" prompt) to 00. Guess I could have done the response code=00 thing for other types as well. At any rate, finally the central system notification issue was solved (didn't show up on the company's site during testing), but I still had the latching audible alarm.

- Zone type 08 (24-hour aux alarm supposedly for things like water & temp sensors). Unfortunately this one, too, had the unfortunate side effect of being a latching audible alarm requiring manual reset. I am, in fact, planning on installing a water & temp sensor here eventually... surely they don't want to force my poor cat to listen to this screeching noise for hours on end if I happen to be away?

- Zone type 04 (Interior/follower) and just NEVER using Away mode. I thought this would be the bulletproof solution, albeit inconvenient and feature-limiting. Surprisingly, the zone refused to chime at all, even though it was in the chime-by-zone group.

So I'm at a loss here as to what to do. I could leave the thing disarmed at all times but of course that somewhat detracts from the whole purpose. Using an X10 indicator for 6+ type-23 zones is out of the question because of the lack of a faulted zone indication, and you only get 2 zone groups anyway.

Any tips?

Thanks in advance,
-core

Old 01-10-07, 04:48 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 139 Votes on 128 Posts
Only entry/exit and perimeter zones (types 1, 2, & 3) can trigger chimes. You can program the individual zones with no report code, but they will still trigger alarms (even if they don't trigger the dialer), if the system is armed.

The Lynx is a _very_ limited system. Basically you are trying to generate a relatively complex configuration out of a system designed for small houses/apartments.

Old 01-10-07, 05:47 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Red face Thanks!

Thanks for the definitive response.

Awww, finding out that the system I was so proud of is in fact trash is not the best way to start out the day. Well the intial stuff was "free" before I purchased and built more sensors so I shouldn't complain.

Based on your information my workaround will have to be just changing the zone type each and every time I arm the alarm. It's not a daily occurrence so really it's not as bad as it sounds.

By the way, what's the significance of the report codes, anyway? Mine are all set to "BB". I'm sure this is company-dependent but was just wondering if there was some kind of consensus. I'm with Apex/SAI. Been experimenting with having certain events logged with the CS without triggering operator action, with some success. I do like the idea of being able to simply hit a web page rather than hook up a modem and use Compass Downloader. (Although that too is next on my list) [Edit: Ah, guess with Contact ID these are enabling codes, just like the *59-*68 range and the actual nonzero value is of no consequence.]

Now to start looking for a better system which is compatible with these 5800 devices. I honestly thought the Lynx was better than this Vista I keep hearing about just from catching bits and pieces of posts on this board. ("Buy this if you want to call in and arm remotely. Buy another thing for X10 support. Oh and you want just 4 more wireless zones? Gotta buy this huge thing with ugly antennas. Need a new keypad if you want to do any programming. Probably need a whole separate box for data logging / modem support too.") Ugh. I can see where you could rack up several $k in accessories for the same stuff that a cheap Lynx does right out of the box.

Thanks again.
-core

P.S. Anyone wanna buy a Lynx? It's only been thrown on the ground once.

Last edited by core; 01-10-07 at 06:14 AM.
Old 01-10-07, 09:24 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 139 Votes on 128 Posts
It's not trash, you are simply looking for features that it wasn't really designed to have. You might want to look towards a Vista-20p that will be compatible with you existing transmitters, and has a _lot_ more programming flexibility.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: