Can't enter installer programming in a DSC Power864

Old 01-31-07, 12:30 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Can't enter installer programming in a DSC Power864

Hi All,

I'm in need for some expert help. My system is a DSC Power864 with several LCD5501Z keypads, and a single PC5532Z keypad. I was attempting to create partitions and assign them to specific keypads when it seemed, all of a sudden, I couldn't enter the installer programming mode anymore. That is, after I hit *8 on any of the keypads, it error beeps me immediately (not waiting for me to input my installer code). Help!

here's some more possibly helpful information:

- Right before things messed up, I believe I was assigning keypads to partitions and slot. I gave a keypad the same slot number as another keypad, but gave it a different partition. (I didn't know at this point keypad slot numbers had to be distinct) Also, after I did that I tested the keypad by arming it, which resulted in a trouble notification in the system--but I didn't check the trouble message. Eventually, the trouble message went away after some tickering. Would any of these result in the disabling of Installer Programming?

- When I was doing a bunch of installer programming, upon exiting I was NOT waiting 15 seconds for the system to reset before I would enter installer programming again. Perhaps this busted something?

Thanks,
S

Old 01-31-07, 04:32 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 116 Votes on 107 Posts
If I had to guess, I'd guess that you set the keypad as a global keypad or assigned it to a phantom partition. Try holding the 1 key for a few seconds. If you get a normal display and are able to access programming, you just go back in and set the keypad addresses correctly.

It's possible that you simply changed the installer code by accident, in which case, your only likely course of action is to hardware default the system and start over.

You cannot "bust" anything with incorrect programming, however you can blindly enter commands that you cannot easily retrace your steps from.

Old 02-01-07, 11:20 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the response. The strange/worst part was that the system won't even let me try to enter Installer Programmer mode--it's error beeping me before I'm given the chance to enter the installer code.

Nonetheless I decided to take the plunge and do a hard reset. Upon restarting the system I was still getting the same problem! Then I disconnected and reconnected one of the keypads while the system was running, but still the same problem! Then I executed that command to hold down #, then hold down a partition number to select it (I think that what that command does?), and while trying different ones, somehow all of a sudden installer programming was able to be entered again. No idea what exactly fixed it, or whether it was a combination of the steps above that did it, but I was able to program again.

My other issue now is that the trouble light is constantly on. The issue is 1.5--Some kind of supervisory condition? Would anyone know what I could do to fix this?

thanks,
S

Old 02-01-07, 04:44 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 116 Votes on 107 Posts
Yup, you accidentally set the keypad to "global" which means it won't accept keystrokes until you select a partition (see the section on partitioned keypad operation at the end of the section of the manual on keypad commands). As you have discovered, defaulting a DSC panel doesn't default the _keypad_ settings. They have a separate default routine.

By disconnecting the keypad and hooking it back up, the system thinks it is a different keypad, but is still looking for the "missing" keypad. You need to re run the module supervision routine to clear your trouble.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: