Need to reprogram an ADT/ADEMCO system

Old 02-17-07, 05:50 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need to reprogram an ADT/ADEMCO system

To start, I am a rank amatuer with security systems. Purhased a condominium 2 years ago with an ADT/ADEMCO system. Received no manuals of any kind but MAY have gotten a "Security Code" from seller. If so, we've misplaced it and seller has left the area. The system was working at time of purchase and still appears to be functional. We're here only in the winter and rent condo occasionally. On return this past December, the system had been disabled...(the AC adapter had been unplugged).

Called ADT, and they seem only interested in providing us with a new security code if we agree to a "monitoring contract", which I don't want.

Following the very helpful advice on this BB, by and powering down and powering up I have determined that the Installer code is "6321". But I can't get past this point. I've tried inputting the Installer Code followed by 8 + 01 + a NEW 4 digit code and then hitting *99, but the system doesn't seem to be accepting the NEW code. I have downloaded the USER GUIDE for the Vista-15P/Vista-20P Series, but have been unable to find the INSTALLATION GUIDE anywhere on line and am really confused on the sequence of steps.

I have managed to trigger the alarm, by inadvertently arming the "AWAY" mode (pushed the # key when system was in ready status), so I know the motion sensors are working.

Please, tell me how to set up a NEW security code on this system.

System Specifics:
- The sticker on the metal box containing the circuit board reads "Vista 20P/Vista 15P"
- The keypad, which appears to be either the "Standard Fixed-Word Display" or the "Standard Alpha Display", as pictured on pg 9 of the USER GUIDE, contains the following info: K4392 V2 M6983 Rev A

Any help will be greatly appreaciated!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-07, 11:03 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 36 Votes on 35 Posts
You were close, but you got a little confused on the precise keystrokes:

To change the master code the system needs to be in regular run mode, not programming mode.

Enter [installer code] + 02 + [new master code]

If you websearch using the phrase "installer manual Vista-20P" you should get several hits including a couple of free ones.

Old 02-18-07, 05:35 AM
Thanks very much for prompt response. I found both the Installation and Programing Guides for the Vista 15p/20p at: www.aesecurity.com.

Will attempt to input new Master Code a little later this morning. In case I screw up and trigger the alarm, it's a little early to wake other residents.

Thanks again!

Old 02-18-07, 06:55 AM
Successfully input New Master code.

Thanks again!

Old 03-09-07, 11:32 AM
how do you determine the installer code? do you pull the power and the battery and then what? where does it show the installer code?

My goal is to add some zones

Old 03-09-07, 06:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The general instructions for retrieving the installer code from an Ademco family panel is in the FAQ: http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=203784

Old 05-04-07, 03:30 PM
vista 20p

Greetings, I have followed the instructions in the faq regarding retrieving the installer code for the vista 20p. It doesnt seem to be locked out. I press *# and the it says installer code. I press *20 and it flashes 20
The alarm was installed by bay alarm.

Background is: I purchased this place and the previous owner had the alarm. I cant locate them and bay alarm wont help me unless I sign up.
I downloaded the installer guide too. It seems like I need to purchase the compass software to fix this.
Any other help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Steps i took already:
1. unplugged ac
2. unplugged battery
3. plugged in ac
4. plugged in battery
5. long beep
6. pressed *# together
7.pressed *20
8.installer code and 20 shows on display
9.#
10. field?
11.*99
12. disarmed hit * to show fault
13.fault 08 tamper

How to I reset, or get a code to arm and disarm the system?
Thanks

Old 05-04-07, 04:37 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Have you looked at the installation guide?

http://www.nextalarm.net/Files/V15P-20pInst.pdf

Codes start on page 67.

Old 05-04-07, 09:31 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
That's #20 to read back the installer code. Anytime you want to view the contents of a programming location, you press # followed by the location number.

The fault 08 tamper sounds like you have device on zone 8 that has the tamper switch active (often this is a motion detector or glass break, sometimes they put tamper switches on the alarm panel door).

Old 05-17-07, 02:46 PM
MJK
Software

Don't know if it's too late but here is a link to what looks like "free" compass software.
http://www.homesecuritystore.com/software/software.htm

MJK

Old 06-17-07, 12:53 AM
update, fault in zone 8 was alarm box door

I still am unable to arm/unarm the unit. I followed all directions, and the installer code, which i believe is 2020 does nothing. I am downloading the compass software, but I am unfamiliar with it. Maybe I can make a video of what is happening and then upload it. I dont want to wipe the system, because I wont be able to program everything back.
Kinda clueless here....

Old 06-17-07, 12:11 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If using 2020 isn't getting you into programming, then that's probably not the installer code. Use the powerup method to go into program, and press #20. The installer code gets read back one digit at a time.

To get around the box tamper, either tape the switch down, or use alligator clip jumpers to bypass it. The system probably won't let you access the codes, etc. while that box tamper is active.

Compass really isn't much of a shortcut. You still have to understand the basic programming concepts for it to help you. It was designed for installers to setup multiple similar systems.

Also, the installer code cannot disarm the system if it was armed in any other way. You have to program a new master code, and use that.

Old 06-19-07, 09:02 AM
Programming

Don't worry about the compass software, that's a new world in itself and you have to have a CIA modem for it to work properly. Go back into programming by powering down and doing the read back with #20 then wait as it beeps 4 times and each time it beeps it will show a number and that is your installer code ignore the first digit zero. It will read as example 02, 03, 04, 05 your installer code will be 2345.

When you are in programming do not randomly press numbers or you will change the systems programming without knowing it, then who knows what happens then. When in programming only and again I say only press # not * before entering any address. When you press * you are telling the system you want to change the information.

Old 11-30-07, 08:21 PM
wow

my alarm system was working but i went and acted like and dumb ass and took all of the wireing out and then put it back .....together... well my system went in to defualt mode and only pertected zone 1 and 2, well i tryed to get it cut on and the man was giving me step by step on programing,, but when it came to entering zone it wouldnt let me because adt safewatch .pro3000 dont have to 2 line alpha so i couldnt program it, then he tried using a computer and he was able to get in but not able to program it.. so what i think we need to do is to find a adt tech person who can program our system for us on the low.. cause adt dose **** to the system... i even change the account number... to my house number.. but i realy want to know if i can connect to my system using my computer... or if some one else can hit me up so you can program it for me.... i know how to change it so that it will make it seem like your adt..

Old 12-06-07, 08:18 PM
just change the code when you go into programing. Power down and power back up. Do *# then hit *20 6321* then *99. That will set your installer code to 6321.

Old 12-20-07, 09:22 PM
Should I just throw it away and start over?

We bought our home three years ago with an alarm system that had been monitored by ADT (I believe the system is an ADEMCO Vista 10). Even though the monitoring was shut off when we moved in, and we never subscribed ourselves, the system still showed "ready" and you could see the motion detectors going off when you would walk around the house or open the doors, etc. So I figured that someday, I should just find out the code so at least I would have some protection available - even though the system wouldn't be monitored, it would still make noise if someone broke in.

I know someone who works for ADT and I asked her if there was a code that I could use. She told me to open the pad, punch in 6321, then 8, 0, 2, and to put in a new code twice. I tried this several times, but it didn't work. Then, like an idiot, in my frustration I started pressing all different combinations of buttons to see if I could make something happen. Well, I don't know what I put in, but I armed the system. Suddenly the system showed "armed." It didn't trigger by motion, but when one of us opened a door, the siren went off. My wife wasn't happy and neither were our three kids.

I found the battery in the metal box, which I disconnected. Then, since I couldn't find the A/C adaptor, I shut off the breakers one by one in the house until the noise stopped. Later, I found the A/C adaptor and unplugged it, so I was able to switch all the breakers back on.

Since the system had no power, I figured that if I waited awhile, I could plug it back in and try the code again. That didn't work. Everytime I plugged it back in, the system still showed armed and the alarm would go off a few minutes later.

I'm such a moron, I know. Is there anything I can do to "reset" the system so it won't be armed? And if so, is there anyway I can put in a new code to use the system?

Old 12-21-07, 11:37 AM
Have someone HOLD * and # on the keypad while you reapply power. Hopefully you will get into programming. Exit out of programming by pressing *99. If this does not work and the system powers up in previous state (alarmed) try to disarm with the duress code: 2580 + 1. With the keypad in the ready mode, enter: 6321 + 8 + 2+new code + new code. The vista 10 has only single digit user slots.

Old 02-07-08, 10:50 PM
takeemmac

Enter the 6321800 if the keypad gives you a long beep = the panel has been locked out by adt..... I have all of adt's CSID #'s (central station ID codes) This keeps other alarm companies who have the compass software from downloading there alarm panel and taking there customers. But ADT also has there own compass software that will talk to there panels. My copy of that software has been dammaged and I cant find it on the web anywhere.
so by chance you enter 6321800 and the screen shows 20 press the star key 4 times then enter 201234 star star 99 now give your alarm system a min. to reset then enter 12341 it should beep at you. If you make it this far give us a call and we will walk you through setting up the rest of the codes .........***Please, per forum policy, no contact information in forum posts***

Last edited by MrRonFL; 02-08-08 at 05:53 AM. Reason: Removal of contact information
Old 01-26-10, 03:43 PM
Help with the CSID

Originally Posted by takeemmac View Post
Enter the 6321800 if the keypad gives you a long beep = the panel has been locked out by adt..... I have all of adt's CSID #'s (central station ID codes) This keeps other alarm companies who have the compass software from downloading there alarm panel and taking there customers. But ADT also has there own compass software that will talk to there panels. My copy of that software has been dammaged and I cant find it on the web anywhere.
so by chance you enter 6321800 and the screen shows 20 press the star key 4 times then enter 201234 star star 99 now give your alarm system a min. to reset then enter 12341 it should beep at you. If you make it this far give us a call and we will walk you through setting up the rest of the codes .........***Please, per forum policy, no contact information in forum posts***
You said you have all the CSID's for ADT is there any way to get them.. i have the Vista 20 ADT i need to get the CSID for.. so i can download and upload the files.. i would be greatful..

Old 01-26-10, 07:17 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
For ADT branded ademco panels, the standard Compass software will not work. Their version of the software is different, and they don't share.

You pretty much have to resign yourself to doing reprogramming from the keypad.

Old 01-27-10, 10:37 PM
Originally Posted by MrRonFL View Post
For ADT branded ademco panels, the standard Compass software will not work. Their version of the software is different, and they don't share.

You pretty much have to resign yourself to doing reprogramming from the keypad.
Hey MrRonFL Thanks for the repy... you would not know where i can get a copy of the software would you? cool i see you are a FL man.. i have fam down that way.. anyway i dont have an Alpha Keypad and right now dont have the money to get one.. so any help finding the software would be great..

Old 01-28-10, 05:35 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Restating the question does not change the answer.

The ADT version of the compass software isn't available to anyone other than ADT franchises.

If you can find an ADT (or former ADT) installer that will give/sell it to you, have fun; but I wouldn't bet the farm on it (and you still would have to have either the special modem the software needs, or the PC link connection device).