External speaker for Simon 3

Old 02-19-07, 05:41 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
External speaker for Simon 3

I have a Simon 3 installed in my home. I have the panel itself in the basement with several wireless keypads around the house. I also have a remote siren installed in the upstairs living area, wired as an interior horn so as to get the status beeps from it.

I would like to hardwire an external speaker upstairs so I can hear the voice reports from the panel. I understandhat one of the connectors inside the panel is designed for the GE audio response module, which is nothing more than a remote microphone and speaker (or so I have heard).

Can anyone identify which of the two unused connectors on the panel circuit board provide this function and the pinout for the external speaker and mic function?

Thanks for any help!

Old 02-19-07, 07:36 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 293 Upvotes on 268 Posts
I rather suspect that that audio module is a bit more complicated than that. It probably contains the basic circuits like an Eagle microphone system.

That said, you can try a bit of trial and error, because I don't know of any reference that provides those pinouts. Or you can try the wireless remote keypad (60-924-3) which will provide a remote sound output.

On the whole, you have managed to stretch a lot of function out of what is essentially a fairly limited system. You may be actually hitting a limit.

Old 02-19-07, 10:13 PM
G
Actually, this CAN be done with the Simon system...that's the good news. The bad news is you need to find the wiring harness for the 5 pin connector that is located on the motherboard of the Simon panel (white rectangular base, 5 pins sticking up. Once you get your hands on the connector (try ordering from a distributor...ask for the wiring harness for a remote audio verification module), you need a speaker, not the actual 2-way voice module. There are 5 wires, the 2 blue ones are for the speaker. Ignore the other 3!

Old 02-20-07, 06:36 AM
D
It works!

Thanks for the clues. I got this working!

There are two white connectors visible when you open the Simon 3 panel (on the circuit board). One has 4 pins. The other (slightly smaller) has 5 pins.

I probed the pins with a telephone test set with the front panel open to force the panel to ask for the programming code repeatedly. I located the external speaker pins.

Looking at the 5 pin connector with the panel swung open and the notch oriented at the bottom of the connector housing, the external pins are the 3rd and 4th from the left. I connected a small mobile telephone external speaker across the pins, and was rewarded with a clear voice that echoed that of the internal speaker. The speaker I had even had a two-pin push connector that matched the diameter and spacing of the pins perfectly. It just pushed on. Can't get much luckier than that!

I did order a two-way talking touchpad too, but this will take care of feedback for the upstairs wireless keypad. I routed the speaker output through an unused pair of telephone wires routed through the house via a punch panel in the basement, so I can move the speaker to any location with a telephone wall jack. I'm not sure if the panel would tolerate multiple speakers connected to the output, but I think the load might not be good for the amp.

Thanks again!

Don

Old 02-20-07, 09:09 AM
G
Make sure your Simon 3 is at least a version 4.0 for the voice feedback to work on the talking keypad! It can be a minor pain to program when you get it (have to turn on the right options and do some strange things with the batteries in the keypad), read the keypad install manual thoroughly....

Old 02-20-07, 10:08 AM
D
Talking Keypad

Yes, I have version 4.1, so should be good.

The keypad instructions mention that the talking keypad only announces information requested from that pad. In other words, if I hit the "System Status" button from a non-talking remote keypad, the talking keypad is not supposed to announce status. I would actually prefer that it did!

My Simon 3 install manual indicates that Option 87: 2-Way RF Touchpad Voice can be turned on to send "broadcast speech" to the talking keypad. I'm hoping this will force the talking keypad to announce status initiated from any system keypad (or even by telephone access via Nextalarm's ABN internet module, which works great with the Simon3).

Still waiting for the keypad to arrive, Guess I'll have to tinker some.

Thanks,

Don

Old 02-20-07, 05:38 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 293 Upvotes on 268 Posts
Sweet! That's why I hang out here. I don't mess with a lot of Simons, so tweaks like this are nice to know....

Old 02-20-07, 08:37 PM
G
Also turn on Option 41 (Voice Chime)

When the keypad arrives, you'll have to remove one of the 3 batteries and hold some buttons down while you re-insert the battery. Like I said before, read that install manual that comes with it!!

Old 02-23-07, 05:27 AM
D
Keypad arrived

Well, my talking wireless keypad for the Simon 3 arrived, model 60-924-3. It installed, easily, but I found it would NOT respond to button presses from other RF remotes, the main panel itself, or chime events. Option 87 on the panel was supposed to activate this.

After some investigation, I found there are two models of the Simon 3 talking wireless keypad; the 60-924-3 and the 60-924-3-01. The 60-924-3-01 is also called the QS1500.

Only the 60-924-3-01 QS1500 keypad can pronounce the broadcast voice alerts without pressing the buttons on the keypad (like "system status") to initiate the voice response. The older 60-924-3 does not function with Option 87 on the panel.

When initiating an action that would cause a voice response from the main panel or the 60-924-3 touchpad, only the unit that initiates the action talks.

This is actually a pretty good approach by GE, since the voices from the main unit and the talking touchpad would not synchronize exactly.

The keypads are not always advertised clearly so as to distinguish between the two models, so be careful if this matters to you.

Old 02-23-07, 07:31 AM
G
Easiest way to tell the difference between the 2 is that the newer one (QS1500) has the antenna sticking out of it...

Old 04-11-09, 07:37 PM
L
Originally Posted by donf99
Well, my talking wireless keypad for the Simon 3 arrived, model 60-924-3. It installed, easily, but I found it would NOT respond to button presses from other RF remotes, the main panel itself, or chime events. Option 87 on the panel was supposed to activate this.

After some investigation, I found there are two models of the Simon 3 talking wireless keypad; the 60-924-3 and the 60-924-3-01. The 60-924-3-01 is also called the QS1500.

Only the 60-924-3-01 QS1500 keypad can pronounce the broadcast voice alerts without pressing the buttons on the keypad (like "system status") to initiate the voice response. The older 60-924-3 does not function with Option 87 on the panel.

When initiating an action that would cause a voice response from the main panel or the 60-924-3 touchpad, only the unit that initiates the action talks.

This is actually a pretty good approach by GE, since the voices from the main unit and the talking touchpad would not synchronize exactly.

The keypads are not always advertised clearly so as to distinguish between the two models, so be careful if this matters to you.
Reviving this thread from the dead... I bought a QS1500 for my Simon 3 off ebay but it did not come with instruction. Can you tell me how to activate the feature (ie taking battery out and pressing a sequence of buttons) to allow the touchpad to reflect what the main panel announces? How can I tell what is version of the Simon 3 that I have? Thanks.

Old 04-11-09, 07:45 PM
G
Remove one of the three batteries.
While holding down the Lights On and Lights Off keys, insert the battery.
Release the keys and the keypad will beep. Immediately press the 9 key for Chime Mode.
Program the keypad into panel memory (lights off key 6 times when prompted to learn in).
-If Panel Voice is off (Option2), keypads in Chime Mode will still talk.
-Remember to turn on Option 41 (defaults off).
-If Option 87 is off (default), only Voice Chime Events will be heard.

To get version info on the Simon panel, power down (battery also), and power back up...Panel will announce version.

Old 04-11-09, 08:13 PM
L
Wow. That was helpful. Thanks for the quick response. Do you have any recommendations for an external siren as well as internal sirens. What do you think of the X10 add on internal chime/siren modules?

Old 04-12-09, 06:35 AM
L
GEGUY, do you know how to adjust the volume up or down on the touchpad? Also, I am wanting to add an X10 remote siren to my Simon 3, but I am maxed out on my 24 zones. Do the X10 modules count towards the total zones, or do I need to move up to the Simon XT (however this does not seem to be a viable option due to the lack of X10 support by the XT, as well as it not being able to do the voice chimes on the remote touchpad)

Old 04-12-09, 06:02 PM
G
Originally Posted by lyeung
GEGUY, do you know how to adjust the volume up or down on the touchpad? Also, I am wanting to add an X10 remote siren to my Simon 3, but I am maxed out on my 24 zones. Do the X10 modules count towards the total zones, or do I need to move up to the Simon XT (however this does not seem to be a viable option due to the lack of X10 support by the XT, as well as it not being able to do the voice chimes on the remote touchpad)
No volume adjustment on the wireless touchpads...Panel yes.
X-10 devices are not zones, add as many as you need.

Old 04-12-09, 07:11 PM
L
GE GUY: I have been looking at either the Ademco Wave 2EX (draws 110 mA) and Piezo Dynamic Sirens (draws 120 mA) as addons for my Simon 3 as internal sirens. I want to place 2 internal sirens in the house. How do I wire 2 sirens to the HWIN1 output on the Simon 3 panel? Do I wire in parallel? Will these produce status and alarms sounds even though they are "sirens" (although the Piezo Dynamic one says that it produces traditional "speaker" sound while drawing a fraction of the current of a typical siren.

I also want to add on a 1 AMP external power supply with 12 volt relay to power an Ademco 748 siren. How do I wire this power supply up to the simon 3 panel with the HWIN2 and DCOUT terminals? Thanks for your help.

Old 04-13-09, 11:35 AM
G
DC OUT provides 250mA...I've never hooked up more than one siren to either output (nor does the manual make mention of it), so you're getting into unchartered waters...

Should be black wire to HW2 and red to DCOUT...

It may be too late for it now, but what you are trying to accomplish may be better suited for a Concord...

Old 04-21-09, 03:48 PM
P
Just installed a hardwired siren to my simon 3 system it works fine but siren puts out a continuous humming sound

Old 04-21-09, 07:14 PM
L
Originally Posted by parreda
Just installed a hardwired siren to my simon 3 system it works fine but siren puts out a continuous humming sound
What siren do you have. I remember reading somewhere that this continuous humming was due to the wrong resistor being shipped with either the Simon 3 or the siren. I can't remember which it was. I'll try looking for that thread again.

Old 04-21-09, 07:20 PM
P
It is the ITI GE 60-483 slimline intreior siren

Old 04-21-09, 07:35 PM
G
Originally Posted by parreda
It is the ITI GE 60-483 slimline intreior siren

Try using the supplied
4.7k resistor

Old 06-14-09, 07:20 AM
M
Getting panel status beeps with Simon XT v2.1 & 60-924-3-XT Wireless Touchpad

Hello GEGuy,
I'm installing a Simon XT v2.1 system. I want to silence the panel and put it in the basement connected to phone line to avoid smash/grab and or phone line cut at panel scenarios. So I purchased the following "60-924-3-XT GE Simon XT Wireless Talking Bi-Directional Keypad". However, to my dismay when entering the house with alarm on, there are no status beeps nor voice prompts to indicate the alarm is on and/or cofirmation of deactivation with the keyfob. As you can see this is my situation and problem. I looked in the manual but don't see that the XT has the same "broacast" option to all touchpads that I see the Simon 3 has in these threads. I tried the instructions for turning on the status beeps at the 60-924-3-XT per the instructions below, but does not work or I'm doing it wrong. Can you please recommend best solution so I can hear status beeps when I or wife enter's house to ensure we have turned alarm on or off correctly? I thought about an x-10 chime module, which would work for entering while alarm on; or leaving during exit delay...? But of course I'd prefer voice confirmation from the Remote Touchpad 60-924-3-XT. Anyway, overall I like the system, one thing wondering why GE does not use Away/Stay which simplifies arming for novices like my wife and also turns off status beeps like on ADT system so as not to wake people sleeping. Other than that it's a great system. Thanks.

Old 06-14-09, 06:01 PM
G
The talking touchpad will not give you status beeps or alarm sounds on Simon XT (not yet anyway) unless you physically press a button on it. As you mentioned Simon 3 can do this... So, your options are threefold...
1. Wire a siren to the panel
2. Use the X-10 powerhorn siren for alarms and status beeps.
3. Use X-10 lamp modules or wall switch modules to flash the arming level (X-10 number 10) or have a light come on during entry/exit times.

The thought process on the Simon panels in regard to the arming level names was to "dumb it down" even further..."Oh, you want your doors and windows armed? Then press the doors and windows button. Oh, you want your motions active? Then press the motions button"

Old 07-06-09, 08:04 PM
M
Line Cut Detect?

GeGuy,
Thanks for your last response. I noticed I seem to have an undocumented feature on my Simon XT v1.2 that I cannot find reference to in the installation manual nor anywhere else. Under "System Programming" -> "Phone Options" -> the last option is "Line Cut Detect". It has the options of "Off" and numbers "2" through "48". Any ideas what this option does?

Thanks again,
Michael

Old 07-07-09, 06:21 PM
G
Originally Posted by michael72
GeGuy,
Thanks for your last response. I noticed I seem to have an undocumented feature on my Simon XT v1.2 that I cannot find reference to in the installation manual nor anywhere else. Under "System Programming" -> "Phone Options" -> the last option is "Line Cut Detect". It has the options of "Off" and numbers "2" through "48". Any ideas what this option does?

Thanks again,
Michael
It's an option to let you know if the phone line has been disabled, like someone cut the phone line. Panel monitors phone line voltage if you turn it on....danger here is annoying trouble beeps everytime a thunderstorm knocks out your phone service.

Old 07-11-09, 05:02 AM
M
Line Cut Detect options of 2 through 48

OK, assuming the Line Cut Detect options of 2 through 48 translate in hours then? Meaning it either checks the line every x hours and or trouble beeps begin if no voltage is detected within x hours?

Thanks.

Old 05-02-10, 07:21 PM
S
simon 3 control panel

is it possible to hook up 2 control panels in 2 different locations. I already purchased the second panel and it would not function simultaneously with the existing panel. It spoke functions seperately and got off track with system which tripped alarm on several occasions

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: