DSC 1550 troubleshooting

Old 03-08-07, 12:53 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
DSC 1550 troubleshooting

What an excellent site and thankyou for your previous answere. One more problem. Two of my zones (bsmt. door) and basement motion on a different zone. The light on my keypad lights when the zones are tripped but the alarm doesnt ring when the alarm set and the zones tripped? Any thoughts. Thankyou in advance. Other zones seem to be fine. One more question. I think there is suppose to be a tamper sensor set off when I open the panel. I notice a blinking light but luckily no alarm goes off.Any thoughts. TY.

Last edited by fishman711; 03-08-07 at 01:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-07, 05:02 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 23 Votes on 22 Posts
If I had to guess, I'd say that they are either programmed an non-alarm zone types, or they are automatically bypassing.

Old 03-08-07, 05:21 PM
As far as a tamper for the alarm panel if there is one you would be able to see the switch. It usually clips onto the side of the box and is pressed in when you close the door.
If there is a switch it is either not connected or not programmed.

Hope this helps.

Old 03-08-07, 06:50 PM
What could I do to stop them from automatically bypassing as they were created to alarm when set and at one time did?

Old 03-08-07, 10:45 PM
DSC 1550 troubleshooting

I had an 8 zone system. Since I am having trouble with two of my zones could I switch to a 6 zone system and leave the 2 zones that are bypassing unwired in the control panel? Also if I can switch to a 6 zone do I have to have motion sensors in zones that motion sensors were before? Does my keypad and panel distiguish between motion and other contacts? Thankyou.

Old 03-09-07, 04:45 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Oookay, clearly you are omitting information.

The PC1550 is a 6 zone panel. Are you trying to use this to replace an existing 8 zone alarm system?

To answer your question, alarm systems cannot tell the difference between any given device connected to a zone input. You have to program the zones to behave specific ways.

At this point, your information and questions are coming in in dribbles and dabs with few specifics. There are no universal answers for this stuff, alarm systems are custom installations by definition.

Old 03-09-07, 06:42 AM
If it is a 6 zone panel why are the connections inside the panel labelled z1 to z8? Why did the installer have 8 different zones labelled on the keypad? The keypad is labelled 1. front door, 2. front door motion, 3.kitchen door and stairs. 4.basement windows 5.storage room 6.basement back door 7.basement back door motion and 8.suite motion. I am moving and I want to take my alarm with me. The new house I am going to has 5 zones set up 1.fr. door 2.basement door 3. motion 4. motion 5. slider door. I am hoping to take out my panel 2 keypads and 2 motions. I am hoping to replace the alarm in the new house with these items as well as using the existing door contacts and wiring in the new house. Two zones on my existing alarm are registering on the keypad (the zones lights when tripped but the alarm does not sound when tripped). Instead of trying to fix these two zones I am hoping to wire the 5 zones in the new place to my old (argueably) 8 zone system. Just dont run any wires to the two zones that seem to be automatically bybassing.Do you think this will work?

Old 03-09-07, 10:53 AM
I just found out it is a pc 2550 motherboard in a 1550 metal case. My question still stands can I just not hook up wires to the two zones that are automatically bypassed and run a smaller system?

Old 03-09-07, 06:07 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
"I was denied critical, need to know, information....." (bonus points for identifying the movie).

There is a major difference between a 1550 and a 2550. That fact changes _many_ things. There are a lot more programming options and settings on one of those.

Yes, you can simply not use those zones. You might have to put dummy resistors on the zone inputs, or simple jumpers if the system was set to not require the resistors. You can even change the programming for the zones to disable them, or change them to a different zone type and split up your new location zones more efficiently.

Get your self a 2550 manual (both user and installer) and a lot of the odd system behavior may make a lot more sense.

Old 03-09-07, 07:08 PM
Thankyou Mr. ron,

It was the movie Tremors 2 aftershocks. I have decided to pay the $300 to have the system taken out and put in at the new house. I think the "dummy" resistor (me) has probably hit the wall. Thankyou for the advice.