DSC 1550 With VoiP

Old 05-24-07, 10:23 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
DSC 1550 With VoiP

Hi All, new to the forum so please forgive my ignorance. I'm moving into another house the end of June. When inspecting it I noticed a DSC 1550 panel in the basement. The current owners don't have it monitored. I'm wondering if this can be monitored over VoIp? and if so what do I need in between? I've looked at the nextalarm service and the ABN adapter is saying no to the DSC 1550 but I'm sure there are more quality adapters then nextalarms available and I wanted to ask the experts.

thanks,

-rr

Old 05-25-07, 04:55 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 321 Upvotes on 296 Posts
The PC1550 is an older DSC design. Older alarms have typically had more issues with connecting via VOIP setups.

What you need is to connect the telephone connection RJ-31x jack into the phone lines as per the link from the FAQ (http://www.hometech.com/learn/rj31x.html).

In this case you would be connecting the wiring as if the VOIP adapter is the Telco provider.

This panel doesn't have the option of Contact ID format, which may be why Nextalarm cannot work with it. I don't think that they work with the "old school" formats like 4+2. On the plus side, these slower speed formats tend to have fewer issues than CID when transmitting over IP telephony. So you may be able to work with a land-line based monitoring center.

Old 06-01-07, 10:57 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thank you. I think at the very least I'll now try, if the connection is too unstable than I'll upgrade the alarm.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: