Help with DSC 632/PC155MX/LCD5501Z

Old 07-20-07, 06:15 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Smile Help with DSC 632/PC155MX/LCD5501Z

The background:
Purchased a 10 year old home in 2005 with this system already installed. I'm not sure if the system is as old as the house, but...?

I had the system activated in Oct 2005 and it is currently monitored by ADT. When the ADT tech showed up to activate the unit, I asked about the illuminated (but not blinking) yellow LED light on my keypad. He said this was "normal". I took his word for it. He gave a very brief tutorial and then left.

The system has worked as advertised until about two months ago. The system "chirped" every ten seconds. Contacted ADT and they "remotely" diagnosed a low cellular battery. It took several weeks for me to find and get the replacement battery. I installed it and contacted ADT to verify improved cellular battery. They confirmed and stated no "trouble" indications anywhere in the system.

After I replaced the battery, the system has the following indications:
1. Yellow LED light is still on.
2. Time is wrong.
3. LCD panel states "OPEN" and "Memory"
4. Pressing *2 = flashing "4", with yellow LED flashing.

The manual I inherited lists 6 (six) zones/by type.
1. Front Door/Garage Door - Entry/Exit
2. Outside Garage Door - Instant
3. Patio Door (Kitchen/Living Room) - Instant
4. Bedroom Windows (Bedroom #1 has one window, Bedroom #2 has one window, Bedroom #3 (MBR) has two windows) - Instant
5. Master Room Windows (Living Room) - instant
6. Motion - Interior/Stay Away

OK, so now what? I've physically checked the contacts (I think magnetic) in the BR windows and they appear to be clean and in correct alignment. I may still have a legitimate zone #4 problem, but need help in troubleshooting it at the next level.

I suspect I will need to isolate the fault and/or either re-program or re-set the system. That's where I need help. I don't want to call ADT for a service call/visit. Can they re-set the system remotely? I'm an airline mechanic with better than average abilities in these situations. I'm no rocket scientist, but I think I'm a little sharper than the guy who activated the system.

Please help....

Old 07-20-07, 07:52 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 293 Upvotes on 268 Posts
You need to read through your user manual. You have multiple different issues. Your system isn't very old. With that keypad model, it cannot be more than 5-6 years old. Go here: http://www.dsc.com/assets/manuals/PC1555(MX)_v2-3_UM_EN_NA_29004474_R003.PDF for a system manual if yours is incomplete.

4 showing when you press *2 means that the panel has failed to communicate with the central station. Have you made changes to your telephone service, recently?

For the open, look at the small numbers along the top of the display. Any numbers showing are the open zones you need to check.

Setting the time is a user function, also in the user manual, which also generates a trouble if the time isn't set correctly.

Memory means that you haven't armed and disarmed since the last alarm on the system.

Do _not_ default the system. You have problems external to the system programming. It could have been a contact gone bad, or a opening that you don't realize is alarmed not being fully shut. If you have a cellular backup dialer, taking the cover off of it to change the battery can generate a tamper alarm if the system was set up that way.

The tech did a rather incomplete job of setting you up. He shouldn't have left you with troubles on your system

Old 07-20-07, 09:20 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks. I have the same version of manual as your link. Now I have it in .pdf as well!

Adjusted the time. That was relatively simple.

I armed and disarmed the system, and "Memory" is still showing.

As for the flashing 4/Telephone Service suggestion, we've had power interuptions here in the midwest with all the rain and storms the past few weeks. How do I reset or re-boot that?

I also pushed the pound # symbol, it flashed a Large 5, 7 and 8...?

As for the "tech doing a poor job", that's why I'm solving this myself. No sense in paying for monthly service AND poor customer/tech service too!

Any additional advice or suggestions are much appreciated...

Old 07-22-07, 11:32 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 293 Upvotes on 268 Posts
Are you getting a ready light? Because if you aren't, then you are not actually arming and disarming the panel unless you are bypassing all of the open zones. If you are showing open zones on 5, 7, and 8, it's possible that you have wireless devices on the system that are either open, or have dead batteries (which is the same thing as far as the panel logic is concerned).

It's a 6 zone panel, so showing 7 and 8 open means that there have to be either wireless devices, or hardwired zone expanders involved.

5, by your own zone list is living room windows. Check them carefully, often, especially if you have contacts hidden in the window frame instead of surface mount, the magnet on the moving part can get dislodged and you would never know it's gone.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: