Remote Access

Old 09-06-07, 03:16 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Remote Access

DSC 1555 system. I recently switched from a local phone company (analog)to my cable company phone system.(Digital). Called my monitoring company to make sure everything was still working etc. The alarm company said my alarm was not reaching them while testing it. They then said that they can log into my system and make adjustments etc. The adjustments made it work...(said they slowed down the data stream) and also asked me if they could set it up to send them a message once a week to make sure it was still working. SO..Question. Is there anyway the "normal" person can "log" on to their own alarm system and make adjustments etc??? What is to stop a crook from doing it?? Perhaps wishing for too much, but a computer screen with the settings on it is so much easier than the encryptic? keypad entry. TIA

Old 09-06-07, 04:47 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 241 Votes on 220 Posts
The dialup software has to match codes with the software on the panel. If your monitoring provider is using this, the odds are pretty good that they have change the default codes to match their software. Another copy of the software simply cannot connect.

If you know the installer code, and have a copy of the installer manual, you can, indeed access your system programming and make changes.

Old 09-10-07, 05:51 PM
Tx Ron....assuming you mean by the software code is that it is different from the installers code?? somewhat of a system programable identifying code??? I also notice on the main board of my controller there is a 4 pin connector, one side labeled S1 and the other end S0 and it is called "Connection for PC-Link", is specialized software required for this or do you know if this is a standard type interface? Was thinking of buying another board as a spare and also use it to experiment on in case lightning hits. Is software available to the average guy or just to professional installers. Our neighborhood builder installed these systems as a standard when they were built and several of my neighbors have had lightning related problems with their systems over the years. P.S. This is the second week now that my monitoring company has not called me....therefore the weekly test msg must be working....maybe?

Old 09-20-07, 08:02 PM
I
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The monitoring company probably set up your system to report using 4x2 Format. I am having MANY system with the same issue where Im at in N.C. Its a large problem with the digital phone service providers and its something that has just recently came about. They are working on it but definetly keep testing oyur system with your monitoring station.

Old 09-24-07, 06:09 PM
I know I should have not opened my mouth, the very next day after my last post, the alarm company called and said the "test msg" went thru one week but not the last. Every time I call and go on test mode, the alarm connects to the monitoring station without error. Should be nothing different between the test msg and normal alarm???? Might experiment this coming week and try a test using my VOIP connection.

Old 09-25-07, 05:41 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 241 Votes on 220 Posts
Therein lies the rub...

When all is said and done, the ability of these digital telephone systems to carry tone data like alarms generate is at the mercy of the quality of the digital to analog conversion process. Some systems simply are better at it than others.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: