Bought a house with existing Ademco/Honeywell system...

Old 09-23-07, 08:00 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bought a house with existing Ademco/Honeywell system...

Hi,

I bought a house this summer with an existing Ademco Vista 15P/20P (not sure which) Honeywell system. The previous owners left the manual but not the master code. The previous owners are strangely elusive, and it's not possible to ask them for the code, although they inserted a handwritten sheet in the manual that tells us which windows, doors, etc. are assigned to which number.

Is the installer code mentioned in the manual (4112) the master code?

Based on the fact that they didn't tell us what the code was, my guess is that they deactivated (or whatever that action is called!) the alarm code - but it's a guess. We obviously haven't been using it these past few months.

Sixteen zones have been wired. I don't plan to have it monitored by a security company, but would like to have it go off (and therefore to the attention of my neighbours) if the place is broken in to while we are away, for example.

My question is how do we establish the code? It's all wired, I just need to be able to establish my 4-digit code to activate and de-activate the system.

Your help is appreciated!

Old 09-24-07, 09:46 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 241 Votes on 220 Posts
In the FAQ for this topic, you will find the step by step for extracting the installer code for your system.

You can find an installer manual (if you don't have one) by running a websearch using the phrase "installer manual vista 20p" (the 15p and 20p share a common manual). The instructions for setting the master code using the installer code will be in the system operation section of the manual.

When you follow the installer code extraction, you will be able to look at the diagram on the system enclosure door and determine which version you have. With the number of zones described, it's probably a 20p.

Old 09-25-07, 12:29 AM
A
Hi MrRonFL,

Thanks for directing me to the on-line installer manual. The previous owners had indeed only left the programming manual. And yes, I'm fairly certain it is the 20P.

I guess my fear now is that I might cause the initial programming done (of all the rooms, windows etc.) to get mucked up by an error as I try to re-establish the master code. Can that happen?

All I want to be able to do is set the alarm when I leave and unset it when I return. This Ademco 20P is really complicated and offers way more possibilities than I am ever likely to use... I think I need a butler to take care of all that. :-) For sure I am the type that learns by concrete example, not by studying a manual... I just feel a little insecure about pushing codes etc. if there is a danger that I will wipe out the programming of the security patching.

Your advice appreciated.

Old 09-25-07, 05:48 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
As long as you follow the instructions and don't start flailing around if you get stuck on something, it is very difficult to overwrite the programming. Just remember, when in doubt use # + [location number] to view the contents of any section of the programming.

As long as every thing is working currently, all you need to do is extract the installer code (at most, you will need to delete the dialer phone numbers to make it a local only panel), exit programming with *99 then use the installer code to set a new master code.

Old 10-11-07, 04:03 PM
J
Same question, but unable to locate master code

I have a similar situation in which I purchased a house with the vista 20p
I followed the directions and downloaded the install manual and got the installer code (2020) but there is nowhere (that I can find) in the installer manual that mentions where to program the master code. I must be missing something!
Please help

Old 10-11-07, 04:06 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Look in the chapter on system operation. In my copy of the manual, it's on page 6-4.

Old 10-11-07, 04:11 PM
J
It requires that you know the master code to make the changes?
Adding a User Code: Master code + [8] + 2-digit user no. + userís code

Old 10-11-07, 05:02 PM
You can change the master code with the installer code. enter: [installer code+ 802+ master code + master code.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: