Front Entrance New door installed- no Beep..

Old 10-03-07, 01:25 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Front Entrance New door installed- no Beep..

We had our front door replaced with a new door and Doorframe , of course we gingerly removed the wired side on the door frame and also removed the silver long metal of the front door, then drilled and replaced the 'slug' back into the hole and have both sides lined up when door is closed, BUT there is no 'beep' ,, and also the master panel shows the door open when it is closed. Therefore the metal pieces aren't talking to each other.. But they are within range and should work. I have checked the other doors in our house and find that all of them have some sort of 'silicone jell' around these metal tabs. The new door frame and door is not like this. only metal to metal.
Is this why they don't communicate??

Last edited by ttodd; 10-03-07 at 01:26 PM. Reason: spellcheck
Old 10-03-07, 03:02 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I'm guessing the sensor was damaged when removed, either the wiring or contact itself.

Though I have not seen any of my recessed sensors with gel on them, I can only guess that is to prevent corrosion or chaffing.

Old 10-03-07, 05:24 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 293 Upvotes on 268 Posts
They often use a bit of silicon caulk when the hole gets drilled a little oversized for the contacts. It really has nothing to do with the device function.

Those contacts are easier to break than you think, the reed switch inside is in a little glass tube. Normally when people replace doors, I recommend that they just replace the switch. Also, sometimes people lose the magnet out of the other half of the contact.

The alignment is also pretty fussy. The magnet can't be out of line with the center of the switch by more than about half of diameter of the switch on most models.

A simple test: put the magnet directly on the switch (use painter's tape), if it doesn't close, then you either broke the switch, or the wire it's connected to is broken/cut.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: