help with alarm troubleshooting please

Old 10-21-07, 04:29 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
help with alarm troubleshooting please

Hi, I have a problem with my house alarm. Whilst sitting in my lounge i heard an alarm going off, i thought it was a neighbors so i went to check. It turned out to be my bell box siren going off.The internal sounder was not going off and no tamper lights where lit on the keypad.I Wanted to shut down the siren so i could disable the siren from the circuit board.I tried everything but could not shut it up.I put the system into engineering mode but it kept ringing,I checked the bell fuse and that was ok.I do not know what to investigate next to fault find.I did manage to disconnect the siren and the alarm works as normal but with no external bell now.The system is accenta8 mini with 4 downstair passives 5 upstair magnets and 2 keypads.It has been installed for 4 years with only 1 minor problem which was solved by putting the zone on double knock.Any help would be grately appreciated.

BR Dave

Old 10-21-07, 11:25 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 241 Votes on 220 Posts
We've seen a similar glitch like this, before, and it usually means that the motherboard is failing, and this is just the first symptom. You can try a full power down and re-start, but this is usually a very bad sign.

Old 10-22-07, 04:55 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi, Thanks for answering my question, but when you say motherboard i assume you mean the main panel board.Is it sending a false trigger to the bell ?

Old 10-22-07, 02:35 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 241 Votes on 220 Posts
From communications with tech support, there is normally a small voltage (below the siren trigger threshold) present to supervise the alarm loop. The mechanism that regulates this voltage sometimes fails, sending enough voltage to trigger the sounder.

Sometimes, installing a 5.6k ohm resistor across the sounder terminals will make this leakage voltage go away, but it eventually gets to the point where nothing helps.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: