Purchasing a new wireless motion detector and window contact

Old 10-24-07, 12:27 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Purchasing a new wireless motion detector and window contact

When I purchased my place it came with a ademco vista 20p (bay alarm)
Bay wouldnt help me in any way unless i subscribed to their service. Using this website, I was able to successfully reconfigure and set up the alarm. in order to use the system I have to bypass a zone (the window in the bathroom) because the transmitter came off and was thrown away. I want to purchase a new wireless window contact and set it up, as well as adding a new wireless motion detector.
I am having trouble understanding the manual in regards to this. Can i just purchase the new units (off ebay?) and program in their serial numbers?
Can i just swap out a new wireless window contact, or does it require extensive programing?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-07, 03:45 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You can do this.

Just get a 5816 sensor from whoever and program in the new serial number.

I assume you have the installer code from what you said, if so, that makes things alot easier.

What type of keypad do you have?

Old 10-25-07, 11:59 AM
ademco vista 20p kypad

It appears that I have the standard alpha display keypad, as there are mis spelled words and it identifies the location of the sensors..

Old 10-25-07, 05:30 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 30 Votes on 29 Posts
You are in good shape, then. It sounds like you have the right keypad. This one comes up a lot on this forum. Check through the archives. If you have the installer manual, it's not tough.

Old 01-13-08, 05:13 PM
Replacing broken ADEMCO 5816 sensor

I have similar problem. Two Ademco 5816 wireless door sensors are broken. Their locations & designations are already programed in, and now are showing "fault." We have the user's manual only. If we call out ADT, there will be a minimum $150 dollar charge for the service call, plus the cost of the sensors.
My question is, if we buy the sensors online, what is required to program them to the existing designations.
Thanks.

Old 01-13-08, 07:45 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You need:
1. A alphanumeric keypad (6160 or equivalent).

2. The installer manual for your system.

3. The new transmitters.

Old 04-10-08, 12:46 PM
I looked in the installer manual but I couldnt find information about swapping out a contact or deleting the old serial number and putting in the new serial number. All the setting should remain the same, I have the old serial number of the unit and it says its on loop 2. I just want to set it up with the new serial number.

Old 04-10-08, 05:18 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Unfortunately, Honeywell/Ademco didn't make this as simple a process as just swapping the serial numbers. You need to delete the existing device and then learn the new one in it's place.

Look in your manual on the chapter on *56 programming (in my copy it's on page 5-3)

"To delete an existing serial number, enter 0 in the loop number field. The serial number will change to 0's.
If 0 was entered in error, simply re-enter the loop number or press [#], and the serial number will return to the display."

Once you delete the transmitter, you work your way back to the zone selection prompt, select the same zone, and enroll the new transmitter, you may or may not have to re enter things like zone type.

Old 04-10-08, 05:21 PM
Are you sure the transmitters are bad? Fault typically means an open circuit. Are the magnets missing or too far away from the transmitter? Have the batteries ever been replaced?

Old 04-10-08, 05:22 PM
fault 6

I might have made things worse because now it says fault 06..
Ill look in the manual again and follow your directions...

Old 04-15-08, 08:34 PM
How can I repair the fault I caused?

I tried to add a new wireless transmitter to my vista 20p and followed the directions that Ron had posted.
I went to program mode
i entered the zone # which was 6 for the window, but it had already been setup with a transmitter that was missing, so every time I tried to arm the alarm i had to bypass zone 6.
I tried to follow the directions again, and now it says fault 6, which leads me to believe that i mucked something up for zone 6?
Another thing that happened was that i couldnt exit out of this mode, so I think thats where i made the mistake. I tried 00 then *56 but it just said hit * or #

I want to delete zone 6 and using the directions just reprogram it with the new transmitter i purchased.

I have a vista 20p with the 6160 alpha keypad. I bought a 5816 wireless window transmitter.

Old 04-15-08, 09:26 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Zone 6 is a hardwired zone; you _can't_ enroll a wireless device in that zone. If zone 6 was your problem zone, then it _was not_ a wireless zone to begin with.

Look at the *56 programming instructions. You just follow the prompts in order.

zone 6 is a window

Go to program
set to confirm? enter 1 for yes
enter zone number: 06*
Displays summary screen of current zone programming
Press * to continue
Zone Type: 03 *
Partition: 1*
Report code: 10 *
Hardwire type: 0 (EOL -- uses end of line resistors on loop)
Response Time: leave at default of 1. Press * to continue
Program Alpha? enter 0 for No for now
Press * to go to the zone prompt

At the zone prompt is when you get to enter 00 to exit *56 mode.

_Then_ you can enter *99 to exit programming

If your hardwire zones were _not_ being used, then the correct zone type would have been 00 (not used)

If your hardwire zones _are_ being used then you need to check your window contacts (it's usually just a missing magnet).

You can't jump steps with one of these system, at very least you have to enter * (think of it as the "enter" key) to accept the default information to move on to the next step.

Old 04-16-08, 11:08 AM
Ok.. making progress!

Ok, so I know what the problem was. I was trying to program into a hard wired zone. Now I need to delete what I tried to do into zone 6, im able to get into zone 6, but do I just enter zero's into everything to clear it out?

After all of that, i was able to follow your instructions for zone 10 (the actual wireless window zone) and entered 0 to clear out the old serial number and then transmitted the new serial number.

I still get fault 6, so i assume when i delete what I did into zone 6, this will solve the problem?

thank you for your help.

Old 04-16-08, 11:31 AM
i believe i figured it out!

I disabled all zones up until 8 which was for the box and following the sheet the original installer left, i was able to confirm everything and now it all works.
Without the support of this forum i never would have been able to make this happen.
I greatly appreciate everyones help!

Old 04-20-08, 04:59 PM
New problem?

Now, my wireless glass break sensor wont reset. It says that there is a glass break in the bedroom (which there isnt).
it was working fine, and then when I came home it said that "check 13 bedroom glass break"
I replaced the battery.. I checked that the cover was closed( the unit itself inside the cover has white tape holding it shut and so does the other wireless glass sensor.) it was installed by bay alarm. This problem started happening only after I replaced the 5816 wireless sensor on the window in the bathroom.
Everything was working correctly, and it allowed we to arm the system, (it still does if I bypass zone 13).

Old 04-20-08, 08:13 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Check the zone settings for that device. You may have the wrong zone type or the wrong loop set.

Old 04-20-08, 08:34 PM
current settings

Zn=13 zt=4 p=1 rc=10
Interior follower=04
partition=1
in=l
rf:1s
report =1st =01
rf=3
l=1

Interestingly when i exit out of the programming mode, everything works and it returns to normal, but later I get that error....(check 13 bedroom glass break)

Old 04-20-08, 08:57 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If the battery cover on this thing is being held closed by tape, then it may be the cover tamper switch.

It could also be the battery. Those lithium batteries are notorious for not getting proper stock rotation in some stores (they aren't normally big sellers), so your new battery may have been bad right out of the shrink wrap.

Old 04-20-08, 09:11 PM
Follow-up

Normally, when you release the cover it sends out a signal that indicates that it is open, and sounds a chime to go along with that...
Were you able to tell, via the last message, if the settings were correct for a wireless glass sensor for an ademco 20p?

Is there any retailer that you recommend for that battery?

Thank you

Old 04-21-08, 05:39 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yup, that all looks right (If you had something wrong, I would have mentioned it).

For the battery, anyplace that has fairly good traffic, like a wal mart or the like. As convenient as they are, I've gotten where I only buy lithium batteries from radio shack if I check the date codes on the packages. Often they don't rotate their stock enough.

This transmitter may simply be failing, and it's doing so since you started modifying the system is just coincidence.

Old 04-22-08, 09:22 AM
replaced battery still getting check...

I replaced the battery last night around 9pm and the unit worked fine until 8am this morning. It looks like a wireless 5816 with the sensor that connects at the battery terminals.
Should I just replace it? What could have caused it go bad all of a sudden?
What about removing it and putting it back? (deleting the zone)

Old 04-22-08, 10:37 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Waitaminnit!

Is this one of the adhesive "window bug" shock sensors wired to the hardwire input (that's _not_ a battery connection) of a standard transmitter?

That's a very different animal from the acoustic glassbreak unit that one would normally assume in this situation.

If that's the case, then you have been asking the wrong question. If what you have been haveing trouble with is the configuration I just described above, then it might just be a bad shock sensor (or even a damaged wire).

Try putting just a simple wire jumper on the input, and if you don't get another zone open indication, then it's just a bad shock sensor.

Old 04-22-08, 04:29 PM
No- its an ademco 5816 w/..

Its a wireless ademco 5816mn with a sentrol ge security 584503-w glass break sensor.
The ademco 5816 is in a box with this sensor and a positive lead and a negative lead go in front of the positive and negative sides of the battery and it mounts on the wall and operates wirelessly.
If I open it up and take out the battery and then put the battery back it works until the morning when it wakes me up around 8am with a beep every minute or so (from the control panel)

Last edited by jondabomb; 04-22-08 at 04:47 PM. Reason: its a 5816MN
Old 04-22-08, 06:06 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Heck, I've only seen those things in catalogs, I didn't know anyone actually bought them... (generally if I want a wireless acoustic glassbreak, I get the one made for that wireless system, these are kind of a rig job)

There should also be a green wire going to one of the hardwire zone inputs.

This transmitter zone should be using loop 1 (the hardwire inputs).

My basic diagnosis still stands. disconnect the external device completely, put a wire jumper between the hardwire input points and put the cover back on. Clear the tamper by entering your code + 1 a couple of times. If the zone doesn't open in 24 hours, then it's the shatterpro unit that is failing, if it does, then the 5816 transmitter is the problem.

Old 04-25-08, 12:12 PM
I followed your test...

The transmitter was bad. I bridged the hardwire and it opened while I was away (saying check zone)
So i swapped out another 5816 and ill see if it opens.
Which glass break sensor do you recommend for an ademco vista 20p which is all wireless?

Old 04-25-08, 04:46 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The current production model is the 5853

http://www.security.honeywell.com/hs.../gl/71711.html